National Tribal Information
This site provides information on the Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response Tribal Program, including descriptions of OSWER's statutory requirements and funding authorities applicable to tribes, funding opportunities for tribes, technical tools and publications, and EPA staff contacts and links.
OSWER Tribal Goals and Objectives
The operative Goals for the OSWER Tribal Program are:
- Provide the necessary support for Tribes to build capacity through financial assistance, guidance, research and technical assistance in assuming regulatory and program management responsibilities.
- Identify changing tribal needs, and assess program activities implemented under existing OSWER program authorities to ensure they address identified tribal needs such as accounting for subsistence lifestyles and cultural impacts of OSWER-EPA actions to remove unintended regulatory barriers to support fully-functional environmental programs.
- Encourage and facilitate partnerships among Tribes, States, local communities and related organizations - to integrate OSWER environmental protection efforts, increase cross-boundary cooperation, and achieve tribal program sustainability.
- Leverage our resources by working with other agencies that have statutory and trust responsibilities to Indian tribes.
To carry out the above activities, OSWER follows the principles in EPA's Indian Policy including:
- Works with tribes on a government-to-government basis, recognizing them as sovereign nations with primary authority and responsibility for their environments, in accordance with Federal Indian Law;
- Consults with tribal governments and engage in collaborative decision-making before promulgating rules, directives, policies or guidance which directly affect Indian Country, in accordance with Executive Orders;
- Recognizes tribal governments as the primary authorities for setting standards, making environmental policy decisions and managing programs in Indian Country and Native Alaska Villages, consistent with Agency standards and regulations.