Executive Order on Improving Chemical Facility Safety and Security
Request for Information
Request for Information on Risk Management Program. The Risk Management Program (RMP) Request for Information (RFI) was published in the Federal Register on July 31, 2014. The RFI sought comment on potential revisions to EPA’s RMP regulations and related programs to modernize its regulations, guidance, and policies as required under Executive Order (EO) 13650: Improving Chemical Facility Safety and Security. The public comment period closed October 29, 2014. Public comments may be viewed online at Regulations.gov.
Final Progress Report
On August 1, 2013, the Executive Order on Improving Chemical Facility Safety and Security directed the Federal Government to:
- improve operational coordination with state and local partners;
- enhance Federal agency coordination and information sharing;
- modernize policies, regulations and standards; and
- work with stakeholders to identify best practices.
For more information, please see:
- Executive Order Progress Update: February 2014
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s Executive Order Website
- Department of Homeland Security’s Chemical Security Information Website
For questions about the Executive Order, please email the Executive Order Working Group (Eo.firstname.lastname@example.org).
The comment period for the EO 13650: Improving Chemical Facility Safety and Security Listening Sessions docket (DHS-2013-0075) closed on November 19, 2014. Comments may be viewed at: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=DHS-2013-0075-0001.
Webinars on Executive Order 13650
Webinar: Introduction to Executive Order 13650. This pre-recorded community Webinar provides an introduction to the Executive Order (EO) 13650, highlights federal agencies involved in the EO and the primary regulations pertaining to the EO, discusses local government involvement, and community involvement. Comments from the community participants are also included.
Additional Executive Order Materials
Technical Assistance Services for Communities (TASC)
Community Webinar on Executive Order 13650: Chemical Facility Safety & Security
- Glossary (2 pp, 73K, about PDF)
- Resources for more information and submitting comments (2 pp, 121K, about PDF)
Executive Order Listening Sessions:
In 2013-2014, the Working Group held a dozen listening sessions, supplemented by two online Webinars. Locations for listening sessions were selected to reach as many and as diverse a stakeholder group as possible. Many listening sessions were held both during and outside of work hours to maximize stakeholder participation.
Below are the names and dates of each listening session and a link to the notes for each listening session found in www.regulations.gov.
- 11/5/2013 Texas City, TX
- 11/15/2013 National Capital Region
- 11/19/2013 Springfield, IL
- 11/25/2013 Webinar
- 12/11/2013 Orlando, FL
- 12/16/2013 Webinar
- 1/8/2014 Sacramento, CA
- 1/9/2014 Los Angeles, CA
- 1/10/2014 Los Angeles, CA
- 1/14/2014 National Capital Region
- 1/23/2014 Houston, TX (evening)
- 2/19/2014 Baton Rouge, LA
- 2/27/2014 Newark, NJ
Ammonium Nitrate Chemical Advisory
On August 30, 2013, EPA, the OSHA and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) issued a chemical advisory that provides information on the hazards of ammonium nitrate (AN) storage, handling and management. The advisory provides lessons learned for facility owners, operators, emergency planners and first responders from recent incidents involving AN.