Fuels and Fuel Additives
Renewable Fuels: EPA Moderated Transaction System (EMTS)
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
The following documents are intended for users of the EPA Moderated Transaction System (EMTS).
- EMTS v4.1 Release Notes (PDF) (4 pp, 61K, May 2015)
- To Add DC FUELS Program (PDF) (11 pp, 482K, EPA-420-B-12-023a, August 2012)
- Getting Started - MyCDX (PDF) (7 pp, 248K, EPA-420-B-12-070, December 2012)
- Access by EPA Contractors to Information Claimed as Confidential Business Information (CBI)
Renewable Fuels Standard
- RFS EMTS User’s Guide v4.1 (PDF) (76 pp, 6.0MB, EPA-420-B-15-022a, May 2015)
- RFS EMTS Reporting Codes and Fuel Pathways (XLS) (673K, May 2015)
- RFS EMTS Document Descriptions (XLS) (716K, February 2015)
- EMTS Quarterly Reports: Getting Started Guide (PDF) (26 pp, 770K, EPA-420-B-11-012a, June 2011)
Fuels, Averaging, Banking and Trading (ABT)
- Fuels ABT EMTS User’s Guide v4.1 (PDF) (48 pp, 1.8MB, EPA-420-B-15-023a, May 2015)
- Fuels ABT EMTS Reporting Codes (XLS) (629K, May 2015)
- Fuels ABT EMTS Document Descriptions (XLS) (655K, May 2015)
- Fuels ABT EMTS Unused Credits Submission Template (XLS) (627K, May 2015)
EMTS Nodes and XML
- Submitting RFS EMTS Transactions using XML (PDF) (126 pp, 1.8MB, EPA-420-B-15-024, February 2015)
- Data Exchange Template v3.0 (XLS) (45K, September 2014)
- EMTS XML Schema v3.0 (ZIP) (15K, September 2014)
- Submitting Fuels ABT Credit Transactions using XML (PDF) (53 pp, 740K, EPA-420-B-15-026a, May 2015)
- Data Exchange Template v3.1* (XLS) (52K, May 2015)
- EMTS XML Schema v3.1* (ZIP) (20K, May 2015)
- * Optional for RFS
- EMTS Excel Conversion Template v4.0 (XLS) (689K, February 2015)
- EMTS Document Schema v4.1* (ZIP) (35K, May 2015)
- Flow Configuration Document v3.1 (PDF) (135 pp, 1.0MB, EPA-420-B-15-025, February 2015)
- CDX Node Best Practices for EMTS Industry Nodes (2 pp, 555K, EPA-420-B-11-006, February 2011)
- * Optional update - Version 4.1 contains minor edits, but version 4.0 will continue to be accepted in EMTS (see EMTS v4.1 Release Notes for more information).
The May 2015 updates to the Data Exchange Template v3.1 and the EMTS XML Schema v3.1 below contain minor edits to allow unused credits from 1999 to 2014 to be uploaded into EMTS. The previous versions of these documents (dated February 2015) will continue to be accepted in EMTS (see EMTS v4.1 Release Notes above for more information).
All EMTS Users
If you have questions or request information, please contact the appropriate support or help line found on the Support & Help page.
Please visit EPA's Transportation and Air Quality web-based repository of mobile source documents, Document Index System (DIS). This searchable repository contains regulations, Federal Register notices, policy letters, and guidance documents.
Please visit our Related Links page for other fuel related information within EPA, other U.S. Agencies, and other fuel related websites.