Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us

Importing Vehicles and Engines into the U.S.



Prior to importing motor vehicles, motor vehicle engines, heavy-duty on-highway engines, recreational vehicles (dirt bikes, ATVs, ORUVs, snowmobiles) and nonroad engines into the U.S., importers will need to become familiar with the applicable EPA emission regulations and requirements.

The following links provide detailed information on EPA’s importation regulations and requirements:

Note – Short term travelers to the U.S. from Canada or Mexico may operate their own personal vehicles in the U.S. during their visit. Such vehicles are not subject to EPA emission standards and other requirements. Residents of Canada or Mexico who wish to bring their vehicles into the U.S. for extended periods of time should refer to Section 2.2.5 -- "Temporary Vehicle Imports for Nonresidents" found in this guide.

This page is maintained by EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality (OTAQ).
For more: About Us | Get E-mail Updates | Browse the A to Z Subject Index.

Jump to main content.