Transportation and Air Quality
- What is the federally mandated warranty for emission controls on my car?
- Why is there ethanol in gasoline?
- Does the fuel used in fuel economy testing contain ethanol?
What's New in OTAQ
OTAQ Recent Additions
- November 20: EPA seeks state, local, or regional agencies interested in assessing GHG and criteria pollutant emission reductions from travel efficiency strategies. Apply by 12/31.
- November 6: EPA and DOE release fuel economy guide with 2015 models.
- October 22: BMW updates fuel economy values for 2014 Mini Cooper 3-door.
OTAQ Press Releases
- December 8, 2014: EPA grant will upgrade Cape May-Lewes Ferry with diesel clean air technology
- November 13, 2014: EPA Reducing Air Pollution from Diesel Buses in Puerto Rico; Grant Provides More than $208,000 to the Puerto Rico Metropolitan Bus Authority
- November 12, 2014: EPA Awards $495,000 to Reduce Diesel Emissions from Marine Engines in Massachusetts
OTAQ Federal Register Notices
- December 11, 2014: Fuels and Fuel Additives: Request for Substantiations of Claims of Confidential Business Information (CBI) From Businesses That Have Submitted Reports and Transactional Information Under the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) Program
- December 9, 2014: Delay in Issuing 2014 Standards for the Renewable Fuel Standard Program
- November 24, 2014: California State Nonroad Engine Pollution Control Standards; Large Spark-Ignition Engines Regulation; Request for Authorization; Opportunity for Public Hearing and Comment
EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality protects public health and the environment by regulating air pollution from motor vehicles, engines, and the fuels used to operate them, and by encouraging travel choices that minimize emissions. These "mobile sources" include cars and light trucks, heavy trucks and buses, nonroad engines, equipment, and vehicles. For more information see:
- About the Office of Transportation and Air Quality (OTAQ)
- About the National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory (NVFEL)
OTAQ's top sites
OTAQ's programs and website topics (A detailed list of programs and topics is on our site map.)
Overview:Pollutants & Programs
Information on how much air pollution, air toxics, and greenhouse gases are emitted by mobile sources, the programs OTAQ has undertaken to control these emissions, and the impact of those programs on air quality and climate change.
On-Road Vehicles & Engines
Information about fuel economy, emission standards and regulations, emission recall, certification and compliance, inspection and maintenance, diesel retrofit, evaluating the benefits of inventions designed to reduce emissions, and importing vehicles and engines.
Nonroad Engines, Equipment
Information about nonroad engines, equipment and vehicles: emission standards and regulations, certification and compliance, and diesel retrofit programs.
- Diesel Boats & Ships
- Gasoline Boats & Personal Watercraft
- Nonroad Diesel Equipment
- Forklifts, Generators & Compressors
- Lawn & Garden
- Snowmobiles, Dirt Bikes, & ATVs
Fuels & Fuel Additives
State & Local Transportation
Modeling, Testing, & Research
Information on modeling and inventories for estimating emissions from highway vehicles, nonroad sources, and fuels; testing and measuring emissions; research into clean automotive technologies; and emission factors research.