Modeling and Inventories
Previous MOVES Versions and Documentation
MOVES2010b Software and Documentation
MOVES2010b. MOVES2010b has been replaced by MOVES2014. This page is provided for users who are completing work already started with MOVES2010b, who are using MOVES2010b for transportation conformity determinations during the conformity grace period, or who need to review MOVES2010b documentation. The version of MOVES2010b that can be downloaded here includes an updated version of the MOVES default database (dated 10/30/2012) that corrects an error in the 4/10/2012 database that was originally included with MOVES2010b. See the MOVES2010b Q&A document below for more details about the new database.
Please find the latest guidance on using MOVES for State Implementation Plans (SIP), transportation conformity, greenhouse gases, and fuel consumption here:
- Using MOVES for SIP and conformity purposes
- Using MOVES for Estimating Greenhouse Gases and Fuel Consumption
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
General Information about MOVES2010b
- MOVES2010b Questions and Answers - Revised (PDF) (9 pp, 276K, EPA-420-F-13-004, January 2013) This document highlights the differences between MOVES2010b and earlier versions of MOVES and explains EPA policy on using MOVES2010b in State Implementation Plans and Transportation Conformity Analyses. It also includes a discussion of the corrected 10/30/2012 database now included in the MOVES2010b Installation Suite.
- MOVES2010 Mobile Source Emissions Model: Questions and Answers (PDF) (9 pp, 128K, EPA-420-F-09-073, December 2009) Describes the model and provides general information for model use.
- MOVES2010b User Guide (PDF) (202 pp, 6.04MB, EPA-420-B-12-001b, June 2012)
- MOVES2010b: Additional Toxics Added to MOVES (PDF) (28 pp, 249K, EPA-420-B-12-029a, May 2012)
- Input file converters and other modeling tools Includes spreadsheet tools that help with the transition from MOBILE6.2 to MOVES.
- Software Development Reference Manual for Draft MOVES2009 (PDF) (279 pp, 1.3MB, EPA-420-B-09-007, March 2009) (a new version of the SDRM will be posted soon.)
- Download MOVES2010bInstallationSuite (ZIP) (936MB, revised January 2013) Includes everything needed to install MOVES2010b: readme.txt, executable file for the MOVES software, default database, and the User Guide. This Installation Suite installs the updated 10/30/2012 version of the MOVES default database. After downloading and unzipping the ZIP file, double-click "Setup.exe" icon to install MOVES2010b.
Note: SIP and transportation conformity policy guidance for MOVES2010, MOVES2010a, and MOVES2010b has been replaced by policy guidance for MOVES2014.
Using MOVES to Prepare Emission Inventories in State Implementation Plans and Transportation Conformity: Technical Guidance for MOVES2010, 2010a and 2010b (PDF) (63 pp, 482k, EPA-420-B-12-028, April 2012)
This document provides guidance on appropriate input assumptions and sources of data for the use of MOVES2010, MOVES2010a, and MOVES2010b in SIP submissions and regional emissions analyses for transportation conformity purposes.
- Federal Register Notice of Availability: Official Release of the MOVES2010a and EMFAC2007 Motor Vehicle Emissions Models for Transportation Conformity Hot-Spot Analyses and Availability of Modeling Guidance (PDF) (December 20, 2010)
This notice approves MOVES2010a official use for quantitative CO and PM hot-spot analyses outside of California, and starts a two-year grace period before MOVES2010a is required to be used in these analyses for project-level conformity determinations outside California. This notice is applicable to current and future versions of the MOVES model, unless EPA notes otherwise when approving the model for conformity purposes. This notice also announces the availability of new guidance documents for: (1) completing quantitative PM hot-spot analyses using MOVES and other models; and (2) completing project-level CO analyses using MOVES.
- Federal Register Notice of Availability: Official Release of MOVES2010 Motor Vehicle Emissions Model for Emissions Inventories in SIPs and Transportation Conformity
This notice approves the use of MOVES2010 in official SIP submissions and starts a two-year grace period before MOVES2010 is required to be used in new regional emissions analyses for transportation conformity determinations outside of California.
Note: EPA subsequently extended the grace period to March 2, 2013 before MOVES2010 and minor revisions is required for regional emissions analyses for transportation conformity determinations (“regional conformity analyses”). See February 2012 final rule that provides an additional year to the previously established two-year conformity grace period at: www.epa.gov/otaq/stateresources/transconf/conf-regs.htm.
- For further information on transportation conformity and SIPs, see the following website: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/stateresources/
Previous MOVES Versions
Archive: Previous MOVES versions. Software and supporting documents are archived for all previous MOVES versions, including: MOVES2010a, MOVES2010, Draft MOVES2009, MOVES Demo, and MOVES2004