Biofuels Compendium - Biodiesel - Health And Safety
These resources provide information on the health and safety of biodiesel when used as a motor fuel. For other biodiesel topics, please visit the biofuels compendium biodiesel page or select a different subject area from the Quick Links menu on the right.
[ DISCLAIMER ]
- Biodiesel Blends for Fueling Diesel Engines (PDF) (2 pp, 130K, About PDF)
Published by University of Missouri Extension in the MU Guide, this article provides an overview of biodiesel, in addition to information on production, storage, and safety.
- Biodiesel Handling and Use Guide (PDF) (56 pp, 1.7MB, About PDF)
This comprehensive guide, developed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, presents detailed information on health and safety, handling, equipment compatibility, conversion of tanks, and other topics related to biodiesel.
- Biodiesel Material Safety Data Sheet (PDF) (3 pp, 43K, About PDF)
This Material Safety Data Sheet, prepared by the National Biodiesel Board, presents detailed information on storing, handling, safety, and regulatory status of biodiesel.
- Biofuels: Release Prevention, Environmental Behavior, and Remediation (PDF) (157 pp, 3.5MB, About PDF)
This Interstate Technology Regulatory Council Technical/Regulatory Guidance document covers a broad spectrum of issues about biofuels. Section 1.6 covers health and safety concerns about biodiesel.
- California Biodiesel Multimedia Evaluation – Final Tier I Report (PDF) (98 pp, 2.4MB, About PDF)
This multimedia assessment provides the state of California with the information needed to allow informed decisions in the impact of biodiesel. Chapter 7 covers the health and safety of biodiesel.
- Clean Air Program: Summary Assessment of the Safety, Health, Environmental and System Risks of Alternative Fuel (PDF) (145 pp, 2.4MB, About PDF)
Prepared by the U.S. Department of Transportation, this report presents the results of studies on the environmental, human health, and safety impacts of the use of alternative fuels including ethanol, biodiesel, methanol, propane, and others.
- Environmental and Safety Information (PDF) (1 pg, 22K, About PDF)
This fact sheet, developed by the National Biodiesel Board, presents information on biodiesel's biodegradability, oral and skin toxicity, aquatic toxicity, and flash point.
- The USTs and LUSTs of Biodiesel (PDF) (28 pp, 662K, About PDF)
This article in L.U.S.T.Line, a technical newsletter for underground storage tank (UST) stakeholders, presents information on the chemical properties, toxicity, emissions, biodegradation, materials compatibility, regulations, and production of biodiesel. (See pages 11-16 and 27)