Biofuels Compendium - Ethanol - About Ethanol
These resources provide general information about ethanol. For more specific ethanol topics, please visit the biofuels compendium ethanol page or select a different subject area from the Quick Links menu on the right.
[ DISCLAIMER ]
- Alternative Fuel Driver Training Companion Manual (PDF) (24 pp, 1.4MB, About PDF)
Developed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, this training guide includes background information on biodiesel and ethanol as well as guidance on storage, handling, safety, and tank conversion.
- Biofuels: Release Prevention, Environmental Behavior, and Remediation (PDF) (157 pp, 3.5MB, About PDF)
This Interstate Technology Regulatory Council Technical/Regulatory Guidance document covers a broad spectrum of issues about biofuels. Section 1.4.1 offers information about ethanol.
- E85: An Alternative Fuel
Developed by the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy as part of the E85 Fleet Toolkit, this Web page includes information and links to E85 fuel resources.
- E85 Fuel Ethanol: Industry Guidelines, Specifications, and Procedures (PDF) (26 pp, 236K, About PDF)
This guide, developed by the Renewable Fuels Association, presents comprehensive information on ethanol standards, equipment compatibility and conversion, handling and safety, quality assurance, and tax incentives. (See page 31)
- Handbook for Handling, Storing, and Dispensing E85 (PDF) (60 pp, 11.7MB, About PDF)
Developed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, this handbook provides extensive information on standards, storage, health and safety, and other topics relating to E85.
- Health and Environmental Assessment of the Use of Ethanol as a Fuel Oxygenate
Prepared for the California Environmental Policy Council, this comprehensive five-volume report presents information on the air, groundwater, and health impacts of ethanol use.
- Regulatory Interpretation; Regulatory Status of E85 Tanks (PDF) (2pp, 28K, About PDF)
EPA's November 2007 memorandum to regions and states responds to questions from states on the regulatory status of underground storage tanks (USTs) containing E85 (a blend of approximately 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline).
- So What About Those E10 and E85 Fuels? (PDF) (32 pp, 524K, About PDF)
This article in L.U.S.T.Line, a technical newsletter for UST stakeholders, provides information on the history of ethanol use, the properties of ethanol, and its compatibility with UST system components.
- Ten Things Missouri Tank Owners And Operators Need To Know About Ethanol (2 pp, 246K, About PDF)
Adapted from a Renewable Fuels Association publication by the Missouri Petroleum Storage Tank Insurance Fund, this fact sheet contains information on storing ethanol blends in USTs and includes a store operator checklist.