Resources for Pest Management
On this page:
Resources from EPA:
- Videos about Using IPM to Control Pests in the Home
- "Controlling Cockroaches in your Home: Healthy Tips for those with Asthma" A 12-minute primer on how to pest-proof your home produced by the American Lung Association with funding from EPA.
- "Stop Pests in Your Home' A 9-minute video for residents of affordable housing produced by the New England Asthma regional Council and available in English and Spanish.
- Scram! Keeping Apartment Homes Pest-Free, Without Toxic Pesticides (PDF) (National Apartment Association's Units, June 2004) (5 pp, 324k, About PDF)
- New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene: How to Control Pests Safely (PDF) (16 pp, 1.3 MB, About PDF)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Clemson University Department of Entomology -- Household and Structural Urban Entomology - besides an animated graphic cockroach, this site includes fact sheets on cockroaches, fleas, termites, and other pesticide problems.
- Clemson University Pesticide Information Program -- Homeowner Pesticide Information - includes fact sheets on household pests, pesticides, and pesticide handling and safety. Provides a link to the Clemson Extension and garden Information Center for answers to questions on indoor and outdoor pest problems and food safety and preservation.
- Maryland Cooperative Extension Integrated Pest Management Program - the program has a variety of consumer publications on pests and pesticide issues.
- Michigan State University Urban IPM Materials Center - links to materials relevant to integrated pest management (IPM), illegal pesticides, and pesticide safety.
- University of California Statewide Integrated Pest Management Program - guidelines for pest monitoring techniques, pesticides, and nonpesticide alternatives for managing pests in homes and landscapes.
- University of Delaware - links to information about disposal of unwanted pesticides and fact sheets on household pests.
- University of Florida - Least Toxic Methods of Pest Control
- Local Cooperative Extension Service Offices - staffed by one or more experts who provide useful, practical, and research-based information to agricultural producers, small business owners, youth, consumers, and others in rural areas and communities of all sizes. They can be a good source for pest control information for your local area.
- National Pest Management Association: What Is IPM?
- Safer Pest Control Project
Household Pest Control
Web Sites with Information about Pest Management
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD):
- Office of Healthy Homes and Lead Hazard Control
- National Guidance on IPM in Public and Indian Housing - explanation of HUD IPM Guidance, including the ten elements HUD considered essential for a successful multi-family IPM program
- Mark-to Market Green Incentive Pilot Program
- Article from HUD's Eco-Wise newsletter: "Integrated Pest Management: Safe, Effective, Cost-competitive" (Eco Wise, May 2008) (2 pp, 467k, About PDF)
- Purdue University: "A practical Guide to Cockroach Control in Multi-Family Housing Units" (4 pp, 361k, About PDF)
National Center for Healthy Housing (NCHH):
- Integrated Pest Management in Affordable Housing: model contract language, case studies, and other technical guidance can be found using links on the homepage sidebars
- New England Asthma Regional Council - 5 minute video for property managers and staff entitled "Integrated Pest Management: a Real Solution for Pest Problems"
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Integrated Pest Management: A Guide for Affordable Housing is a new resource from the Northeastern IPM Center that will help affordable housing managers, owners, and agents use integrated pest management (IPM) to contend with a variety of urban pests in their facilities. It will also assist anyone seeking to integrate IPM practices into a residential pest management strategy.
Outreach materials for Parents:
- Play it Safe; Reduce your Child's Chances of Pesticide Poisoning (PDF) (8 pp, 365k, About PDF) - PDF en español
- Poison-Proof Your Home One Room at a Time (PDF) (2 pp, 160k, About PDF) - PDF en español
- Preventing Pests at Home (PDF) (1 pg, 129k, About PDF) - PDF en español
Outreach Materials for Head Start and other child care staff:
- Pesticides and their Impact on Children: Key Facts and Talking Points (PDF) (2 pp, 162k, About PDF)
- Head Start Staff; What You Need to Know about Pesticide Poisoning (PDF) (2 pp, 159k, About PDF)