Guide for FOIA Requesters
EPA's Office of Pesticide Programs receives over 650 FOIA requests annually for scientific, regulatory, and administrative records. Our goal is to respond to and complete your FOIA request as quickly as possible.
Keep in mind that much scientific and regulatory information concerning pesticides is available to the public without submitting a FOIA request. If you decide that you do need to submit a FOIA request, the web pages listed here will make you more knowledgeable about the types of records OPP creates and compiles in regulating pesticides and assessing potential human health and environmental effects associated with pesticides.
- Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP) FOIA Electronic Reading Room
- Pesticide Information Resources
- Pesticides' home page
Steps to submit a FOIA request
- Prior to submitting your FOIA request, decide whether you seek access to information that may be entitled to confidential treatment, or which otherwise may be exempt from disclosure under FOIA.
- Review the FOIA fee schedule and state in your request the amount of fees you are willing to incur, or request a fee waiver if you believe you are eligible.
- Check out the OPP’s FOIA Electronic Reading Room. This collection contains a science review repository and a regulatory record repository.
Tip: Excluding such information from the scope of your request will speed completion of your request.
Submit your FOIA request. Please note: All FOIA requests are a matter of public record and may be placed in the Agency’s public files.
How FOIA Requests are processed by EPA
All FOIA requests for Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP) records must be submitted to the EPA Headquarters FOIA Office. After the Headquarters FOIA Office receives the request , the following steps will occur:
- FOIA staff will initially process your request and mail you a written acknowledgement providing the assigned Request Identification Number (RIN).
- Your request is then routed to the Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP). It will be assigned a caseworker on the OPP FOIA staff.
- Within 20 working days of EPA’s receipt of your request, your caseworker will send you a written initial determination that in most instances includes some or all of the requested records.
- When your request is completed, you will be advised in all instances of your right to submit a written appeal, regardless of whether the requested information was provided or records were withheld. An appeal of our final response must be received at the Agency within 30 calendar days.
Tip: You will speed processing by narrowing the scope or volume of your request.
If you incur billable charges, an itemized invoice will accompany our final response to your request.
If you have any questions about submitting a request, or about the status of your request, please contact FOIA staff. Refer to the RIN in all communications with us concerning your request.