- Questions on pesticides? National Pesticide Information Center
- American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC)
- AAPCC's data on poisoning/exposure incidents for pesticides
Current as of September 28, 2010
On this page:
- Final Risk Mitigation for Human Health and Ecological Protection
- Rodenticide REDs
- Children's Exposure Timeline
- Comparative Ecological Risk Assessment for Nine Rodenticides
- More Information
In May 2008, EPA announced its decision regarding risk mitigation to resolve human health and ecological risk issues presented by the rodenticides included in these assessments. See the Agency's May 28, 2008, Risk Mitigation Decision for Ten Rodenticides at EPA-HQ-OPP-2006-0955-0764. Information about this decision is available in docket EPA-HQ-OPP-2006-0955 from Regulations.gov, and in a fact sheet.
EPA issued Reregistration Eligibility Decisions (REDs) for the Rodenticide Cluster (PDF) (319 pp, 1.1 MB, about PDF) and Zinc Phosphide (PDF) (225 pp, 901k, about PDF) in 1998. In these risk management decision documents, the Agency expressed concern about accidental human exposures to rodenticides, as well as risks to nontarget wildlife.
- The 1998 Rodenticide Cluster and Zinc Phosphide REDs recognized the potential for accidental exposure to children, and required the incorporation of a bittering agent and an indicator dye into rodenticide products in order to reduce risks to children.
- In 2001, the Agency decided against imposing those requirements, based in part on recommendations from a Pesticide Program Dialogue Committee (PPDC) subcommittee.
- In November 2004, West Harlem Environmental Action (WEACT) and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) filed suit in the District Court for the Southern District of New York, challenging EPA's 2001 decision to rescind the bittering agent and indicator dye requirements.
- In August 2005, the district court affirmed EPA's decision against requiring the indicator dye, but reversed EPA's decision to not require the bittering agent and remanded that decision to EPA for further consideration.
- The court set no deadline or specific requirements for the reconsideration.
- EPA has re-examined the evidence previously provided the Agency regarding bittering agents, gathered new information, and analyzed recent Poison Control Center data.
- EPA's January 2007 Proposed Risk Mitigation Decision for Nine Rodenticides proposed measures for protection of children.
- EPA's May 2008 Final Risk Mitigation Decision for Ten Rodenticides presents the Agency's final decision regarding risk mitigation measures to protect children.
- See docket EPA-HQ-OPP-2006-0955 for the May 2008 final risk mitigation decision.
- Following the issuance of the rodenticide REDs, EPA developed a Comparative Ecological Risk Assessment for Nine Rodenticides to further evaluate the potential for rodenticide bait products to pose ecological risks to non-target birds and mammals. The nine rodenticides included in the comparative ecological assessment are those addressed in the rodenticide REDs - brodifacoum, bromadiolone, bromethalin, chlorophacinone, diphacinone, and zinc phosphide, as well as three other rodenticides (warfarin, difethialone, and cholecalciferol).
- In January 2003, EPA released the Preliminary Comparative Ecological Assessment for Nine Rodenticides for public comment.
- See EPA-HQ-OPP-2002-0049-0002 for the assessment.
- In September 2004, the Agency released for comment the Revised Comparative Ecological Assessment for Nine Rodenticides. Also released was an Analysis of Rodenticide Bait Use and EPA's response to comments on the preliminary version of the assessment.
- See EPA-HQ-OPP-2004-0033-0003 for the assessment.
- EPA's January 2007 Proposed Risk Mitigation Decision for Nine Rodenticides proposed measures to reduce risks to wildlife.
- January 2007 Proposed Risk Mitigation Decision for Nine Rodenticides is available in the docket at regulations.gov.
- EPA's May 2008 Risk Mitigation Decision for Ten Rodenticides presents the Agency's final decision regarding risk mitigation measures to reduce risks to wildlife.
- See EPA-HQ-OPP-2006-0955-0764 for the May 28, 2008 final risk mitigation decision.
- Rodenticide Reregistration Web page
- For more information, please contact Rusty Wasem (email@example.com), 703-305-6979.