Module 4: Applying the Principles of Pesticide Label Review
Table Of Contents
- Label Basics
- Parts of the Label
- Special Issues
- Applying the Principles of Pesticide Label Review
- Emerging Issues and Course Completion
Section 3: How should I review for clarity?
- Organize labels clearly.
- Choose unambiguous words.
- Identify and eliminate jargon.
Pesticide labels contain a large amount of information. This information will overwhelm and confuse the user if it is not organized properly, using appropriate headings and subheadings. The formatting instructions set out in the Label Review Manual provide the correct order and presentation of the various label parts. Pay particular attention to the following:
- Chapter 3, Section VII: Label Format: This section provides the general order for all of the front- and back-panel label parts.
- Chapter 11, Section IV: Review Strategy for Directions for Use: This section provides suggestions for organizing directions for use, including bulleted format, tabular format, and modified paragraph format.
To review the organization of the label parts, see Chapter 3, Section VII of the Label Review Manual (PDF) (17 pp, 887.88, About PDF).
To review the organization of directions for use, see Chapter 11, Section IV of the Label Review Manual (PDF) (32 pp, 1.32mb, About PDF).