Chemical Review Manager: K. Avivah Jakob (firstname.lastname@example.org), 703-305-1328
- Registration Review Docket EPA-HQ-OPP-2010-0752
- See docket EPA-HQ-OPP-2006-0352 for documents related to EPA's review of this pesticide.
- See docket EPA-HQ-OPP-2007-0944 for documents related to a petition from several environmental groups to cancel registrations of this pesticide.
- Visit Regulations.gov for information about other pesticide reregistration chemicals.
In response to a petition filed by Sinapu and ten other groups, in early 2009 EPA agreed to reinitate consultation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to ensure that threatened and endangered species are not being harmed by the predator control pesticides sodium cyanide used in the M-44 device and sodium fluoroacetate (or Compound 1080) used in livestock protection collars. The Agency, however, denied the petitionersí request to cancel and suspend the registrations of these pesticides.
- Petition from Sinapu (January 24, 2007)
- First Addendum to Petition (March 20, 2007)
- Second Addendum to Petition (July 27, 2007)
- Third Addendum to Petition (January 7, 2008)
- Fourth Addendum to Petition (May 29, 2008)
- EPAís Response to Petition (January 16, 2009)
- Petitionerís Request for Reconsideration of Decision
- EPA's Response to Petitioner's Request (March 6, 2009)
For further information, see Docket EPA-HQ-OPP-2007-0944 and the Federal Register notices below.
- Report of the Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA) Tolerance Reassessment and Risk Management Decision (TRED) for Sodium Cyanide (PDF) (7 pp, 121k, About PDF)
- Reregistration Eligibility Decision (RED)(PDF) - September 1994 (160 pp, 1.0 MB, About PDF)
- RED Fact Sheet (PDF) - September 1994 (4 pp, 40k, About PDF)
Federal Register Notices
- Petition Requesting EPA to Issue a Notice of Intent to Cancel the Registrations of M-44 Sodium Cyanide Capsules and Sodium Fluoroacetate; Extension of Comment Period [January 16, 2008], extension of comment period through March 5, 2008
- Questions for Commenters (January 15, 2008)
- Petition Requesting EPA to Issue a Notice of Intent to Cancel the Registrations of M-44 Sodium Cyanide Capsules and Sodium Fluoroacetate [November 16, 2007] comment period close on January 15, 2008
- Sodium Cyanide; Tolerance Reassessment Decision for Low Risk Pesticide; Notice of Availability [August 2, 2006] comment period closed on October 2, 2006