EPA helps communities grow in ways that expand economic opportunity, protect public health and the environment, and create and enhance the places that people love. Through research, tools, partnerships, case studies, grants, and technical assistance, EPA is helping America's communities turn their visions of the future into reality.
- The Teacher Is In: School Siting Tools You Can Use: Listen to this recent webinar about new tools from EPA that can help communities evaluate the location of a proposed school site.
- Building Blocks for Sustainable Communities: On January 27, EPA announced 22 communities in 18 states that will receive technical assistance to help them meet their sustainability goals. Read the press release.
- Local Foods, Local Places: On December 3, the White House announced 26 communities in 19 states that will receive technical support to integrate local food systems into community economic action plans, help revitalize struggling downtowns, and preserve farms and undeveloped land. Read the press release.
- Enhancing Sustainable Communities With Green Infrastructure: A guide to help communities better manage stormwater while achieving other environmental, public health, social, and economic benefits can help local governments, water utilities, nonprofits, neighborhood groups, and other stakeholders integrate green infrastructure strategies into plans that transform communities. View our 10 steps to developing a sustainable community and green infrastructure plan. Read the blog post. Learn about the webinar on Nov. 18.
- Partnership for Sustainable Communities: Five Years of Learning from Communities and Coordinating Federal Investments (PDF) (24 pp, 17.9 MB, About PDF) - This report commemorating the fifth anniversary of the HUD-DOT-EPA Partnership for Sustainable Communities shows how the three agencies are changing their policies and removing barriers to help communities provide more housing choices, make transportation systems more efficient and reliable, and create vibrant neighborhoods while protecting the environment. Read the press release.
- Planning for Flood Recovery and Long-Term Resilience in Vermont: Smart Growth Approaches for Disaster-Resilient Communities is the product of a technical assistance project with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the state of Vermont, and the Mad River Valley Planning District on how communities can recover from flood impacts and become more resilient to future disasters.
Flood Resilience Checklist: Use this new tool to determine whether your community is prepared for a flood.
- Get the latest news on EPA Smart Growth publications, webinars, technical assistance opportunities, and more on our Smart Growth Listserv. Want more news on smart growth? Sign up for our Twitter feed @EPASmartGrowth.
About Smart Growth
Learn about smart growth issues and environmental benefits. Find information about specific topics, resources, and examples of smart growth development, including the National Award for Smart Growth Achievement.
EPA is a Smart Growth Network partner.