Standard Operating Procedures are written
documents that describe, in great detail, the routine procedures to be followed
for a specific operation, analysis, or action. Consistent use of an approved
Standard Operating Procedure ensures conformance with organizational practices,
reduced work effort, reduction in error occurrences, and improved data comparability,
credibility, and defensibility. Standard Operating Procedures also serve
as resources for training and for ready reference and documentation of proper
Standard Operating Procedures
For directions on accessing the references listed below, see Information About Downloadable Files.
- Frequent Questions about Standard Operating
- Guidance for Preparing Standard Operating Procedures (G-6) (PDF 60pp, 336K About PDF) - April 2007, EPA/600/B-07/001. Guidance on the development and documentation of Standard Operating Procedures.
Examples and Other On-line Resources
- EPA Office of Emergency and Remedial Response
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation Center
- U.S. Geological Survey