Underground Injection Control (UIC)
The UIC program works where you live to ensure that the underground disposal of wastes through injection wells is done safely and does not endanger drinking water sources.
- Region 5 UIC Public Notices
- UIC Permit Applications Received in Region 5
- Contact Region 5 or a state agency
- Sign up to a UIC mailing list for notice of pending actions on EPA permitting of underground injection wells in Region 5.
Recent UIC Well Actions
- Savoy Energy, LP - EPA plans to issue a Class II injection well permit and is accepting written comments on the proposed permit until Tuesday, October 14, 2014.
- BreitBurn Operating Limited Partnership - EPA plans to issue a Class II injection well permit and is accepting written comments on the proposed permit September 9, 2014 to October 14 2014
- W.B. Osborn Oil & Gas Operations - EPA plans to issue a Class II injection well permit to W.B. Osborn Oil & Gas and is accepting written comments on the proposed permit until Monday, Oct. 6, 2014.
- FutureGen 2.0 of Jacksonville, Ill. – EPA issued permits for FutureGen Industrial Alliance’s four Class VI carbon dioxide (CO2) sequestration wells in Morgan County Illinois on Aug. 29, 2014
- EPA proposes to modify the Class II permit previously granted to NuEnergy Operating, Inc. of Gaylord Michigan. The modification will allow NuEnergy to inject waste fluid underground at a greater pressure. EPA accepted written comments on the proposed modification until Aug. 5, 2014.
- EPA proposes to modify the Land Ban Exemption previously granted to Warner-Lambert Company in Holland, Michigan. The modification will allow Warner-Lambert to inject additional types of waste fluid into three existing Class I injection wells. EPA accepted written comments on the proposed modification until July 31, 2014.
- EPA plans to issue a Class II injection well permit to Summit Petroleum Corp. for a well in Isabella County, Mich. and is acceped written comments on the proposed permit until June 24, 2014.
- SJX, LLC of Clare County, Mich., Adler D2-33 - EPA plans to issue a Class II injection well permit and accepted written comments on the proposed permit until June 16, 2014.
- Archer Daniels Midland (ADM ) of Decatur. EPA plans to issue a permit for ADM’s CCS#2 Class VI carbon dioxide (CO2) sequestration well in Macon County, Illinois (April 2014)
Injection Well Practices
- Underground Injection Wells in Region 5
- Hydraulic Fracturing
- Carbon Sequestration
- Aquifer Recharge & Aquifer Storage and Recovery
- Class V Wells
- Controlling Injection Wells on Tribal Lands
- Technical Information, Forms, & Sample Documents (includes Guidance; Training Tools; Permitting Documents)
- Ensure Your Well Has Adequate Financial Assurance
- Motor Vehicle Waste Disposal Well Closure Initiative
- Testing Your Well for Mechanical Integrity
- Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) Requests
- Frequently Asked Questions About the UIC Program
- Glossary of UIC Terms
- Regional UIC Environmental Appeals Board Decisions
- Regional Land Ban Exemptions From Hazardous Waste Disposal Restrictions
- National Technical Workgroup