Radiation Risk Assessment Software: CAP-88 and CAP-88 PC
On this page:
- Hardware Requirements
Version 220.127.116.11.0 has not yet been approved for determinations of regulatory compliance. Users must continue to use Versions 3 or below until EPA has announced the use of Version 4 as a regulatory compliance tool.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Version 18.104.22.168 (production release) (1/2014)CAP88 Version 22.214.171.124 (production release) 1(/2014) (ZIP) (35.1MB) CAP88 V4 Beta Testing Report (PDF) (405 pp, 2.14MB)
CAP88-PC Version 4.0 has only been tested on Windows XP with Service Pack 3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, and 2012. Windows versions before XP with SP3 are not supported. Also, CAP88-PC V4 requires the .NET Framework 4 to be installed on your machine; if you do not have the .Net Framework Version 4 already installed you may Download it here.
Please read the README.txt file contained in the download zip archive for important information about this release prior to installing CAP88-PC Version 4.
The User's Manual for CAP88-PC Version 4 is provided both on-line as context-sensitive help and in the installation file set. The location of the User's Manual is described in the README.txt file.
This installation package has been digitally signed. However, you may still receive a Windows Smartscreen alert when you launch installation because this file will have been downloaded from an Internet location. This warning may be safely ignored in this case.
CAP 88 v4 has undergone an internal EPA quality assurance review. The quality assurance review report and documentation are available at the Office of Radiation and Indoor Air (ORIA).
Version 3.0 - Release with Federal Guidance 13 Data and Full Buildup Factor Generation (2/9/13)
CAP88 Version 3 (2/09/13) (ZIP)(25.7MB)
- The February 09, 2013 version fixes the problem where the release rate for the second source in the input dataset was being set to zero. This version also updates the vegetation deposition rate model to the model used in CAP88-PC Version 4.
- The December 09, 2007 version makes screen and printer fonts identical for output files in CAP88-PC. It also fixes an indexing problem, which caused the organ index number and the organ dose factor index number to be different in some cases. Neither of these modifications change the environmental concentrations or TEDE values calculated by CAP88-PC.
The user guide has been updated to reflect these changes, and to offer additional guidance on the use of the chain length option.
- The October 13, 2007 release adds selectable progeny and time step lengths to the buildup factor calculation, and changes the annual removal rate in the calculation to 2% from 2.5% to conform with the information in the version 1 user manual. It also modifies the tritium dose calculation for vapor and organic forms based on the recommendations from LLNL. The half-life values in the database for this release have been fully checked against the values in the 8th Edition of the Table of Isotopes.
- The March 15, 2007 update fixes an error in the population file editor that was causing the editor to crash in some systems. This error does not affect any code results. It is a modification of the November 29, 2006 version.
- The November 29, 2006 version fixes a bug in the DEFAULT checking routine that improperly compared the scavenging rates when a non-integer precipitation rate was entered. This issue had no measurable effect on the code results. (Reinstalling should preserve old cases.)
- Notes on Buildup Factor Method for Release versions March 17, 2006 and later (PDF) (1 page, 10K)
- CAP88 PC Version 3.0 (Draft) Introductory Slide Show (PDF) (35 pp, 336K)
- Installation Instructions (PDF) (3 pp, 109K)
- User's Guide (2/09/13) (PDF) (209 pp, 1.34MB)
- Interactive Video/Audio Training (self-extracting ZIP) (10,196 K About ZIP), November 2005
- CAP88 PC-Version 2.1(Updated Beta Version) (ZIP) (25.9MB About ZIP)
- Installation Instructions (PDF) (15 pp, 293K)
- What's New in Version 2.1 (PDF) (8 pp, 116K)
- User's Guide (PDF) (67 pp, 726K)
CAP88-PC version 2.0 is a Windows version of CAP88-PC. Version 2.0 includes some minor changes compared to the DOS version. These changes include:
- addition of decay chains for six radionuclides
- Strontium Chain (SR-90/Y-90)
- Zirconium Chain (ZR-95/NB-95)
- Ruthenium 103 Chain (RU-103/RH-103M)
- Ruthenium 106 Chain (RU-106/RH-106)
- Cerium Chain (CE-144/PR-144)
- Plutonium (PU-241/AM-241)
- corrects a minor error in the Uranium decay chain;
- corrects a typographical error in the concentration reports.
EPA has approved use of CAP88-PC version 2.0 for demonstrating compliance with 40 CFR 61.93 (a) NESHAPs subpart H-emissions of Radionuclides Other than Radon from Department of Energy Facilities.
- CAP88 PC-Version 2.0 (ZIP) (3.8MB About ZIP)
- Y2K Patch (ZIP) (114K About ZIP)
- User's Guide (Updated) (PDF) (148 pp, 1.3MB)
- Special Instructions for Windows 95 and higher installation Read before you install.
- Approval Memo (PDF) (2 pp, 170K)
- CAP88 PC Web Training (PDF) (32 pp, 296K)
Special Installation Instructions for Version 2.0
CAP88-PC v2.0 will NOT run under Windows XP or Windows NT. It will run under Windows95 - Windows2000 if installed following special instructions that compensate for the more limited file recognition capabilities of Windows 3.1 used to develop CAP88-PC v2.0. Windows95-2000 will automatically install it in the directory "c:\Program files\," which has more than the eight characters CAP88-PC v2.0 can recognize.
To install the program correctly, follow these instructions:
- click on the C2.EXE file to download, and save it to your c:\ drive.
- Open Windows Explorer, and double click on the C2.EXE file. The "Welcome" dialogue box will appear and
ask if you want to install the program.
- Click "OK."
- When the "Select Destination Directory" dialog box appears, change the path:
from: c:\Program Files\CAP88PC2
- Click "OK."
- Follow the directions in the succeeding dialogue boxes to complete installation of the program.
- Before running the program for the first time, download and execute the "Y2K/Windows95 patch.
CAP88-PC version 1.0 is a personal computer software system used for calculating dose and risk from annual average releases of radionuclides to the air. CAP88-PC version 1.0 is a DOS based software and is approved for demonstrating compliance with 40 CFR 61.93 (a).
- CAP88 PC-Version 1.0 (DOS) (ZIP) (1.0MB About ZIP)
- Installation Instructions
- User's Guide (PDF) (255 pp, 3MB)
Further information on models may be obtained by accessing Risk Assessment
The following is a description of the computer hardware which will be required to use this software.
- DOS (Disk Operating System) version 2.0 or higher
- IBM PC or compatible
- At least 640K RAM with a minimum of 500K free (the memory required for CAP88-PC to complete an assessment may vary from machine to machine and more complex assessments may require more available RAM.)
- Hard disk drive.
- A parallel communications port (used for printer IO)
- EGA or VGA color monitor
- Any parallel printer compatible with the system and connected to LPT1. Other printers may work, but we cannot guarantee the results.