On this page:
- Radiation and Radiation Protection Issues
- EPA's Role and Activities
- WIPP Bulletin
- Fact Sheets
- PECOS Reports
- Obtaining WIPP publications
Radiation and Radiation Protection Issues
- Radioactive Waste Disposal:An Environmental Perspective
Radiation: Facts, Risk and Realities(PDF) (17 pp, 798KB
About PDF) [EPA 402-K-10-008]
This booklet describes the risks and benefits of ionizing radiation.
EPA's Role and Activities
- EPA and the WIPP (7/94)
- Evaluation of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Public Outreach Process during the Certification Process at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant in New Mexico (PDF) (Submitted April, 2001, by Phoenix Environmental and EnviroIssues) (6 pp, 41.13K)
For copies of these bulletins (either in hard copy or PDF), please contact Ray Lee.
- December 2003
- March 2002
- September 2000
- January 1999
- Winter 1997, No. 4
- Spring 1996, No. 3 (PDF) (3 pp, 35K)
- Spring 1995, No. 2 [hard copies only ]
- Spring 1994, No. 1
EPA's Fact Sheets:
- 2006 Recertification, No. 1 -- Overview (PDF) (3 pp, 1.03K) (03/06)
- 2006 Recertification, No. 2 -- Public Information and Input on WIPP (PDF) (1 pg, 280K) (03/06)
- 2006 Recertification, No. 3 -- Performance Assessment (PDF) (2 pp, 296K) (03/06)
- 2006 Recertification, No. 4 -- TRU Waste Inventory (PDF) (2 pp, 274K) (03/06)
- 2006 Recertification, No. 5 -- Groundwater (PDF) (2 pp, 317K) (03/06)
- 2006 Recertification, No. 6-- Karst (PDF) (1 pg, 227K) (03/06)
PECOS Management Reports:
Pecos Management Services, Inc. (PECOS) is conducting independent oversight of WIPP through a dedicated and focused project entitled Independent Scientific Oversight of TRU Waste Operations (ISO-2). The scope of the ISO-2 Project is to conduct independent reviews and evaluations of the design, construction, and operations of WIPP as they relate to the protection of the public health and safety and the environment. These reviews and evaluations encompass the current and future WIPP activities in the program areas of TRU waste characterization, transportation, and disposal.
- An Analysis of the Monitoring in Rooms and Panels at WIPP (PDF) (21 pp, 192K) (04/06)
- A Review of Real-Time Radiography of Remote-Handled TRU Waste (PDF) (15 pp, 167K) (07/06)
- An Evaluation of the Approved Panel Closure Systems at WIPP (PDF) (22 pp, 337K) (10/06)
- Review of the TRUPACT-III Type B Shipping Package (PDF) (21 pp, 330K) (05/07)
- An Evaluation of the Readiness of WIPP for Disposal of Remote-Handled TRU Waste (PDF) (14 pp, 296K) (05/07)
- Evaluation of the Quality and Realism of the Performance Assessment (PDF) (75 pp, 1,016K) (06/07)
- Review of the DOE Request for Magnesium Oxide Requirement Reduction (PDF) (22pp, 282K) (10/07)
- Efficient and Effective Disposal of TRU Waste at WIPP (PDF) (26 pp, 228K) (02/08)
- An Evaluation of Health and Safety Risks Resulting from Repackaging TRU Waste for Disposal in WIPP (PDF) (22 pp, 255 K) (10/08)
- Potential Health and Safety Impacts of Removal of Containers from WIPP (PDF) (20 pp, 323K) (11/08)
- Review of the Report: "Proof of Rapid Rainwater Recharge at the WIPP Site" (11 pp, 1,502K) (9/09)
- A Study of WIPP Radiological Transuranic Waste Characterization Requirements and Activities (37 pp, 412K) (4/10)
- Assessment of WIPP Hydrology & Hydrogeology Programs (PDF) (20 pp, 384K) (8/10)
- Assessment of an Alternative Approach for Remote-Handled Transuranic Waste Disposal (PDF) (13 pp, 271K) (9/10)
- Assessment of WIPP Quality Assurance Deficiency Trends (PDF) (16 pp, 804K) (9/10)
- Update to the RH/CH Disposal Operations Evaluation (PDF) (24 pp, 220K) (9/10)
How can I obtain WIPP publications not offered on-line?
- Receive new WIPP publications--hot off the press!--by adding your name to the WIPP mailing list.
- Order any of the publications listed by contacting us.
- You can find Federal Register notices and other documents relating to the legal aspects of EPA's certification and recertification decisions on the WIPP Compliance Certification and Recertification Decisions Documents page and in the Dockets.