EPA Records Schedule 094
Status: Final, 03/31/2011
Title: Electronic Bulletin Boards
Program: All Programs
Function: 305-109 - Official Information Dissemination
NARA Disposal Authority:
This schedule authorizes the disposition of the record copy in any media (media neutral), excluding any records already in electronic form. Records designated for permanent retention must be transferred to the National Archives in accordance with NARA standards at the time of transfer.
Includes a broad range of systems used to provide ready, user-friendly access to frequently used information in a "public forum" format. Announcements and messages can be posted and read by any user. Information may be drawn from Agency databases, publicly available sources or a combination of sources. Also includes other types of on-line dialogue, including chat rooms, discussion forums, blogs, wikis, listservs, Lotus Notes Teamrooms and QuickPlace.
Information is brought together to simplify access and provide specialized support for specific information needs. Often used to distribute software programs, models, or text files.
Item a: Electronic software program
Destroy when no longer needed to ensure access to, and use of, the electronic records throughout the authorized retention period.
Item b: Input
Follow instructions for EPA 171.
Item c: Electronic data
Delete when no longer needed.
Item d: Output and reports
File with related records and follow instructions for the related records.
Item e: System documentation
Follow instructions for EPA 304, item a(1).
Substantive information which meets the definition of an Agency record and is disseminated via a bulletin board or other on-line system must be documented in an Agency recordkeeping system and retained in accordance with approved records schedules. If the bulletin board information is unique and not documented elsewhere, a separate records schedule is required.
This schedule includes, but is not limited to, the following systems listed by headquarters or regional office:
Office of the Administrator
- Flow of the River
- Lean Manufacturing
- Office of Homeland Security (OHS) Teamroom (OHS-TR)
Office of Administration and Resources Management
- Office of Environmental Justice Bulletin Board System (OEJ BBS)
Office of Air and Radiation
- Control Technology Center (CTC)
- EPA Model Clearinghouse
- Management and Accountability Process System (MAPS)
- Technology Transfer Network (TTN)
Office of Environmental Information
- AMI/GEOSS Knowledge Management Environment (ASKME)
- Records Management QuickPlace
Office of General Counsel
- E-discovery QuickPlace
Office of Research and Development
- Center for Exposure Assessment Modeling Electronic Bulletin Board System (CEAM BBS)
- Office of Research and Development Electronic Bulletin Board System (ORD BBS)
Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response
- Clean-Up Information Bulletin Board System (CLU-IN)
- RCRA Financial Assurance System (RCRA FAS)
Office of Water
- EPA Decentralized Wastewater Management Web-Based Discussion Forum
- Fish Advisory Special Interest Group Located on Non-Point Source Bulletin Board
- Nonpoint Source (NPS) Electronic Bulletin Board
- Nonpoint Source Pollution Info (NPSInfo)
- ISB Team Room (ITR)
- Office of Watersheds Team Room (OW-TR)
- Water Protection Division Front Office Team Room (WPDFOT)
- Bulletin Board (Bulletin Boa)
- Air Toxics Team Database (ATTdb)
Other disposable systems not requiring specific schedules have been categorized into this schedule or one of the other "generic" or "big bucket" schedules:
- EPA 063 - Electronic Models and Expert Systems
- EPA 088 - Bibliographic and Reference Systems
- EPA 089 - Information Tracking Systems
- EPA 090 - Administrative Support Databases
- EPA 179 - Special Purpose Programs
Electronic records not requiring their own schedules or covered in one of the big bucket schedules above may be segments or phases of information systems. Examples of this type of schedule include, but are not limited to:
- EPA 164 - Electronic Spreadsheets
- EPA 170 - Files and Records Related to the Creation, Use and Maintenance of Computer Systems, Applications, or Electronic Records
Reasons for Disposition:
The following changes were made in the 04/30/2008 version:
- Revised title of disposition item a.
- Revised the description.
- Revised disposition instructions for item b.
- Reorganized guidance.
The following changes were made in the 03/31/2008 version:
- Changed the disposition instructions for items a and b.
- Revised the title and wording of the disposition instructions in item e.
Bulletin boards are used as a means to disseminate information captured in other places. Bulletin boards and Web sites with unique information are scheduled separately.
EPA 063, EPA 088, EPA 089, EPA 090, EPA 164, EPA 170, EPA 171, EPA 179, EPA 304
Previous NARA Disposal Authority:
EPA Approval: 04/28/1995
NARA Approval: 01/20/1999