EPA Records Schedule 096
Status: Final, 07/31/2009
Title: Data Standards and Registry Services
Program: All Programs
Function: 404-142-01 - Data Administration and Integration
NARA Disposal Authority:
This schedule authorizes the disposition of the record copy in any media (media neutral), excluding any records already in electronic form. Records designated for permanent retention must be transferred to the National Archives in accordance with NARA standards at the time of transfer.
Registries provide the ability to register, map and manage metadata and information important to the Agency and its partner systems. Registries may contain objects or data used within multiple systems such as common code sets, facility information, or substances. They may contain information about individual Agency systems or datasets or reusable software components and services that may be used in multiple systems. Registration of contents is the single unique concept that makes a registry a registry. Quality assurance is provided and stewards are assigned to maintain and manage specific contents. In all cases, registries serve as an organizing structure for the purpose of facilitating discovery of Agency information resources. The registries do not contain environmental data, but are collections or repositories of metadata that describe information to make the data more meaningful and easier to find.
Data standards are part of the EPA Enterprise Data Architecture. They are maintained with the EPA registries. Data standards are used to improve the quality of environmental data and also facilitate data integration.
Item a: Electronic software program
Destroy when no longer needed to ensure access to, and use of, the electronic records throughout the authorized retention period.
Item b: Input
Follow instructions for EPA 171.
Item c: Electronic data
Delete when superseded or obsolete.
Item d: Output and reports
File with related records and follow instructions for the related records.
Item e: Systems documentation
Follow instructions for EPA 304, item a(1).
Item f: Data standards documentation
Delete when standards no longer in use in Agency and partner systems.
This schedule includes, but is not limited to, the following systems listed by headquarters program office:
Office of Environmental Information
- Data Registry Services
- Data Standards Services
- Facility Registry System (FRS)
- Registry of EPA Applications, Models and Databases (READ)
- Reusable Component Services
- Substance Registry Services
- System Inventory Services
- System of Registries (SoR)
- Terminology Services
Office of Research and Development
- Environmental Information Management System (EIMS) and Science Inventory
Substance Registry Services was formerly called the Substance Registry System. The XML Registry is now a part of Reusable Component Services.
Other disposable systems not requiring specific schedules have been categorized into this schedule or one of the other "generic" or "big bucket" schedules:
- EPA 063 - Electronic Models and Expert Systems
- EPA 088 - Bibliographic and Reference Systems
- EPA 089 - Information Tracking Systems
- EPA 090 - Administrative Support Databases
- EPA 094 - Electronic Bulletin Boards
- EPA 179 - Special Purpose Programs
Electronic records not requiring their own schedules or covered in one of the big bucket schedules listed above may be segments or phases of information systems. Examples of this type of schedule include, but are not limited to:
- EPA 164 - Electronic Spreadsheets
- EPA 170 - Files and Records Relating to the Creation, Use, and Maintenance of Computer Systems, Applications, or Electronic Records
- EPA 171 - Input and Source Records - Nonelectronic
- EPA 304 - Systems Documentation
Reasons for Disposition:
The following changes were made in the 04/30/2008 version:
- Revised disposition instructions for item b.
- Added information and reorganized guidance.
The following changes were made in the 03/31/2008 version:
- Revised reference to EPA 170 in disposition item b.
- Revised disposition instructions for item e.
This schedule was originally approved as N1-412-03-7 for the Environmental Data Registry (EDR). The schedule has been expanded to include all data registries, including FRS (EPA 079, previously approved as N1-412-03-16) and EIMS (EPA 469, previously approved as N1-412-04-9).
EPA 063, EPA 088, EPA 089, EPA 090, EPA 094, EPA 164, EPA 170, EPA 171, EPA 179, EPA 304
Previous NARA Disposal Authority:
N1-412-03-7, N1-412-03-16, N1-412-04-9
EPA Approval: 08/12/2008
NARA Approval: 05/06/2009