EPA Records Schedule 181
Status: (to be superseded) Final, 12/31/2009
Title: Advisory Groups Established under the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA)
Program: All Programs
Function: 316-259 - Peer Review and Scientific Advisory Functions
NARA Disposal Authority:
This schedule authorizes the disposition of the record copy in any media (media neutral), excluding any records already in electronic form. Records designated for permanent retention must be transferred to the National Archives in accordance with NARA standards at the time of transfer.
- General Records Schedule 26/2
Includes records created by advisory commissions, committees, councils, boards, and other groups established under the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Also includes any conference, panel, task force, or other similar group, or any subcommittee or other subgroup which is (1) established by statute or reorganization plan or (2) established or utilized by the President, or (3) established or utilized by one or more agencies or officers of the federal government.
Note: Prior to the Commission's termination, NARA, in consultation with Commission staff, will review records covered by this item and may identify files that warrant permanent retention. Such records will be transferred to the National Archives on termination of the Commission.
Excludes: Other interagency committees scheduled as EPA 186.
Item a: Commission's establishment, membership, policy, organization, deliberations, findings, and recommendations
Transfer to the National Archives on termination of the Commission. Earlier transfer is authorized for commissions operating for 3 years or longer; and records are transferred to the National Archives 20 years after termination or completion of a significant activity (e.g., production of a final report).
Item b: Day-to-day Commission activities, not containing unique information of historical value
Destroy when 3 years old. See Note in Guidance.
Item c(1): Web site records - Electronic version of Web site(s)
Destroy on termination of commission or when no longer needed, excluding records covered in the Note in Guidance.
Item c(2): Web site records - Design, management, and technical operation records
Destroy on termination of commission or when no longer needed.
Item c(3): Web site records - Electronic version of content records duplicated in textual series of commission records
Destroy on termination of commission or when no longer needed.
Note for item b - Prior to destruction, NARA, in consultation with Commission staff, will review records covered by this item and may identify files that warrant permanent retention. Such records will be transferred to the National Archives at the time that related permanent records are transferred.
Note for item c(1) - Web site records: Prior to the destruction, NARA, in consultation with Commission staff, will review records covered by this item and may identify portions (including a Web snapshot) that warrant permanent retention. Such records will be transferred to the National Archives at the time that related permanent records are transferred, along with any records covered by item c(2) that NARA requires to maintain and access permanent Web content records.
Records for committees established under FACA maintained by the Committee Management Officer in the Office of the Administrator, Office of Cooperative Environmental Management are covered by EPA 180. Copies of committee records not maintained by the sponsor or secretariat are scheduled as EPA 186.
Other committee records are scheduled as: EPA 187 for internal agency committees; EPA 188 for the Quality and Information Council; EPA 518 for rulemaking committees; EPA 525 for congressional committees (maintained by the Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Relations); and EPA 737 for CIO committees.
Administrative records generated by an advisory committee -- records relating to budget, personnel, supply or similar housekeeping or facilitation functions -- may be disposed of in accordance with the General Records Schedules since they do not pertain to the subject matter advice that the advisory committee is providing to the Government. Administrative records authorized for disposal by the GRS and having retention periods outlasting the life of the commission (such as payroll, personnel and fiscal records) should be transferred to the agency providing administrative support.
Examples of the types of documents that may be maintained under item a (files documenting the Commissions establishment, etc.) include:
- Original charter, renewal and amended charters, organization charts, functional statements, directives or memorandums to staff concerning their responsibilities, and other materials that document the organization and functions of the Commission and its components
- Agendas, briefing books, minutes, testimony, and transcripts of meetings and hearings as well as audiotapes and/or videotapes of meetings and hearings which were not fully transcribed
- One copy of each of reports, studies, pamphlets, posters (2 copies) and other publications produced by or for the commissions as well as news releases, commissioners' speeches, formal photographs and other significant public affairs files
- Correspondence, subject and other files maintained by key commission staff, such as the chair, executive director, and legal counsel, documenting the functions of the commission
- Substantive records relating to research studies and other projects, including unpublished studies and reports and substantive research materials (may include electronic data)
- Questionnaires, surveys and other raw data accumulated in connection with research studies and other projects where the information has been consolidated or aggregated in analyses, reports, or studies (may include data maintained electronically)
- Records created to comply with the provisions of the Government in the Sunshine Act, annual reports to Congress describing the agency's compliance with the act
- Documentation of subcommittees, working groups, or other subgroups of advisory committees, that support their reports and recommendations to the full or parent committee. This documentation may include, but is not limited to minutes, transcripts, reports, correspondence, briefing materials, and other related records.
- Documentation of formally designated subcommittees and working groups. This documentation may include, but is not limited to minutes, transcripts, reports, correspondence, briefing materials, and other related records.
Examples of the types of documents that may be maintained under item b (files relating to day-to-day activities, etc.) include:
- Correspondence, reference and working files of the Commission staff
- Audiotapes and videotapes of Commission meetings and hearings that have been fully transcribed, informal still photographs and slides of Commission members and staff, meetings, hearings, and other events
- Other routine records, such as public mail, requests for information, consultant personnel files, records relating to logistical aspects of Commission meetings and hearings, etc.
- Extra copies of records described under item a, e.g., copies of meeting agenda and minutes distributed to commission members and staff, files accumulated by agencies on interagency bodies other than the secretariat or sponsor
The requirement to transfer these records to the National Archives is in addition to the requirement to transfer copies of selected documents to the Library of Congress.
Reasons for Disposition:
The following changes were made in the 03/31/2008 version:
- Revised the disposition instructions in items b and c.
- Revised guidance.
The schedule approved as N1-412-94-2/27 has been revised to conform to NARA's General Records Schedule 26, item 2.
Item d for electronic mail and word processing system copies was deleted 08/16/2006 pursuant to NARA Bulletin 2006-04.
EPA 180, EPA 186, EPA 187, EPA 188, EPA 518, EPA 525, EPA 737
Previous NARA Disposal Authority:
NC-412-76-7/6, NC1-412-78-2/9, NC1-412-78-5/1, NC1-412-85-4/12, NC1-412-85-6/35 and 36, NC1-412-85-11/13, NC1-412-85-24/50, N1-412-94-2/27 and 28
EPA Approval: Not applicable
NARA Approval: 09/00/2004