EPA Records Schedule 304
Status: Final, 10/31/2012
Title: Systems Documentation
Program: All Programs
Function: 404-142-01 - Data Administration and Integration
NARA Disposal Authority:
This schedule authorizes the disposition of the record copy in any media (media neutral), excluding any records already in electronic form. Records designated for permanent retention must be transferred to the National Archives in accordance with NARA standards at the time of transfer.
- General Records Schedule 20/11
Contains records related to documentation of systems, including data systems specifications, file specifications, codebooks, record layouts, user guides, output specifications, and final reports relating to a master file, database or other electronic records.
Item a(1): Documentation related to electronic records that are scheduled for destruction in the General Records Schedule (GRS) or in a NARA-approved agency schedule
Destroy or delete upon authorized deletion of the related electronic records or upon the destruction of the output of the system if the output is needed to protect legal rights, whichever is later.
Item a(2): Documentation relating to electronic records that are scheduled for permanent retention in the GRS or in a NARA-approved agency schedule
Transfer to the National Archives with the permanent electronic records to which the documentation relates.
Item b: (Reserved)
Documentation necessary for transfer of permanent systems to the National Archives is covered by item a(2) of this schedule or under the specific schedule for the system. For example, systems documentation for the Air Quality System (AQS) is covered in EPA 496. In some cases, systems are included as part of generic or "big bucket" system schedules, including:
- EPA 063 - Electronic Models and Expert Systems
- EPA 088 - Bibliographic and Reference Systems
- EPA 089 - Information Tracking Systems
- EPA 090 - Administrative Support Databases
- EPA 094 - Electronic Bulletin Boards
- EPA 179 - Special Purpose Programs
Documentation needs to be kept for the length of time necessary to ensure the retention and usability of the electronic data it supports throughout the authorized retention of the data.
Records related to overall IT management (as opposed to the operation and use of specific systems) are covered by other schedules (e.g., EPA 136 - IT Operations Records).
The following change was made in the 10/31/2012 version:
- Updated guidance that documentation for permanent systems is covered by item a(2) of this schedule or the specific system schedule.
The following changes were made in the 01/31/2008 version:
- Item a was renumbered as item a(1) and (2) and now includes item a(2) for systems documentation related to permanent electronic records.
- Item b - Systems security was deleted since it is covered by EPA 128 (GRS 24/5).
Reasons for Disposition:
Conforms to NARA's General Records Schedule 20, item 11.
EPA 063, EPA 088, EPA 089, EPA 090, EPA 094, EPA 136, EPA 179
Previous NARA Disposal Authority:
NC1-412-85-24/41, N1-412-86-3/9, 11 and 12, N1-412-94-2/40
EPA Approval: Not applicable
NARA Approval: 12/00/2007