- Records Management Basics (PDF) (2 pp, 66K)
- Records Management for EPA Senior Officials (PDF) (2 pp, 117K)
- Senior Agency Officials Separation or Transfer Records Checklist (PDF) (2 pp, 87K)
- How to Prevent Unauthorized Destruction of EPA Records (PDF) (2 pp, 77K)
- E-Mail Quick Reference Guide
- 10 Commandments of Records Management
- 10 Easy Ways to Improve Records Management
- 10 Quick Ways to Improve Records Management in Any Office
- 10 Steps to Improving Your File Room
- Identifying ECMS file plan folders (1 p, 72K)
- A 10-Step Records Management Plan for Your Office
- Basic Requirements of an Electronic Recordkeeping System at EPA
- Centralized vs. Decentralized Filing
- Contractor Records
- Identify and Transfer: What to do with the records of departing employees
- Maintaining and Disposing of Federal Records
- Preparing Electronic Records for Transfer to the National Archives
- Protecting Your Records: A 5-Step Vital Records Plan for Your Office
Developing and Maintaining a Vital Records Program
This document provides instructions on how to develop a plan for identifying and protecting vital information, conduct an analysis of threats and risks, select protection methods, and implement and maintain the records protection program.
File Plan Guide
A file plan lists the records in your office, and describes how they are organized and maintained. This document provides an introduction to the Agency-wide file structure and Agency file codes, which are used to organize EPA records, and directions for implementing them in your program.
Moving Your Records
This document provides the tools you need to plan and implement a successful move of your office records.
Procedures for Managing Agency Records
This document provides detailed procedures for creating, maintaining, and disposing of agency records, including electronic mail records.
Records Management Self-Evaluation Guide
This document provides a method for evaluating and monitoring your records management program.
Six Steps to Better Files
This document provides a 6-step approach to better files, with step-by-step instructions that program staff can follow.
Using the Federal Records Center; a Guide for Headquarters Staff
This document provides detailed procedures for retiring records to, and retrieving records from the Federal Records Center.
Standard Form 115, Request for Records Disposition Authority, is used by Federal agencies to obtain disposition authority from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). It is generally used for unscheduled records.
Standard Form 135, Records Transmittal and Receipt, documents the physical transfer of records to the Federal Records Center.
Standard Form 258, Agreement to Transfer Records to the National Archives of the United States, is used by Federal agencies to transfer legal custody of permanent records to NARA.
National Archives Form 14097, Technical Description for Transfer of Electronic Records to the National Archives, is used by Federal agencies to transfer permanent electronic records to NARA.
- NA14097 in MS Word (4pp, 51K)
Optional Form 11, Reference Request - Federal Records Centers, is used by Federal agencies to obtain reference service involving records they have stored in a Federal records center.
U.S. EPA Forms
- Records Destruction Form (MS Word) (2pp, 72K)
- Record Inventory Form (Sample) (MS Word) (2pp, 76K)
- Record Inventory Form (Editable sample) (MS Word) (2pp, 76K)
- Electronic System Inventory Form (Sample) (MS Word) (2pp, 68K)
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the Portable Document Format (PDF) files on this page.