Moving Your Records
Contents of this tool kit
- A Short Checklist for Managers
- Guidelines for Planning a Move
- Checklist #1: Records Inventory
- Checklist #2: Records Cleanup
- Checklist #3: Retiring Records to the FRC
- Checklist #4: Space Planning
- Sample Inventory Forms
Moving your office from one place to another is a fairly common, and sometimes traumatic, experience. It can be difficult to continue your day-to-day work and make a move into new quarters. We still have assignments and projects to complete, requests to fulfill, and bosses and clients to keep happy while we're in the process of moving.
Just like the three most important things when you buy a house are "location, location, location," the three most important things when you move your office is "planning, planning, planning." Too often, little thought goes into moving the records in the office. In fact, moving your records will probably require the most planning.
The items included in this tool kit will give you the tools necessary to plan and implement a successful move of your office records. It will help you:
- Determine what needs to be moved.
- Decide what to do with what shouldn't be moved.
- Plan for the effective use of space and equipment.