Freshwater Biology Team, Wheeling, West Virginia Flier
Freshwater Biology Team
Office of Monitoring & Assessment
Environmental Assessment & Innovation Division
EPA Region 3, Wheeling, W.Va.
- Develop bioassessment and biocriteria tools and methods to assess and protect the health of freshwaters.
- Assist states in developing their freshwater bioassessment programs.
- Provide expertise and support to EPA and state programs for special projects using bioassessment, toxicity testing, and fish health indicators.
- Create partnerships and strengthen relationships with other EPA Regions, outside agencies, and non-governmental organizations.
- Macroinvertebrate / fish collection, identification, and bioassessment.
- Habitat surveys, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Biocriteria development.
- Toxicity testing and report reviews.
- Statistical analyses in bioassessment and toxicity testing.
- Method development.
- Support for Regional and national surveys.
- WVDEP GLIMPSS (Genus Level Index of Most Probable Stream Status)
- DRBC IBI
- (Delaware River Macroinvertebrate)
- PA DEP Tiered Aquatic Life Uses
- REMAP: Pennsylvania Fish IBI
- Report on condition of nation’s waters (lakes, rivers and streams, and wetlands)
- Help build State and tribal capacity for monitoring and assessment
Bioassessment Support — Toxicity Testing
- Fish Kill Investigation —South Branch Potomac and Shenandoah
- Mining: Total Dissolved Solids
- EPA ORD-Cincinnati, Duluth, Athens, Gulf Breeze Labs, NCEA
- WVDEP, WVDNR
- VADGIF, VADEQ