Bendix Flight Systems Division
EPA ID: PAD003047974
South Montrose, PA 18843
Congressional District: 10th
Other Names: Allied Corporation
Last Updated: February 2014
The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
On This Page
- The fourth Five-year Review of the Bendix Site was completed in August 2012. This review determined that the remedy is protective in the short-term but several issues must be addressed in order for the Site to be protective in the long-term.
- Issues identified in the 2012 Five-Year Review included 1) remaining sources of Site contaminants in soil and groundwater, 2) potential gaps in the on-site groundwater containment system, and 3) lack of cleanup criteria for several Site contaminants. EPA and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection are working with the responsible party for the Site to address these issues.
- A Supplemental Site Investigation (SSI) was started 2009 to identify remaining sources of groundwater contamination. A second phase of the SSI was conducted in 2011 and a third phase is planned in 2014 to address remaining data gaps.
- As a result of the investigation, several pilot studies were conducted during the summer of 2011 to evaluate various cleanup technologies. Study results will be used to select additional cleanup actions.
- The former main industrial building used for historical site operations was demolished in 2012.
- A vapor intrusion (contaminants seeping into indoor air from soil and/or groundwater) study was conducted in several nearby homes in the spring of 2009, and the final report was completed in May 2011.
- The investigation concluded that a few site-related contaminants may be migrating into one or more nearby residences. However, there are also likely sources right within the homes contributing to most, if not all, of volatile chemicals picked up by the sampling.
- Evaluations of all the homes indicated that vapor intrusion does not present any unacceptable health risks to residents.
- A vapor intrusion study was also conducted in 2008 in the on-site building, and it was found that indoor air contaminants posed an unacceptable health risk to the workers in that building.
- As a result, the offices of two maintenance staff were moved to a new temporary building and the contaminated building is no longer being used.
- The 60-acre Bendix site is located in South Montrose just east of Route 29 in Bridgewater Township.
- The site consists of a closed manufacturing building and office, a parking lot, two treatment buildings and fenced grounds.
The site was used to manufacture aircraft instruments from 1952 to 1996, when industrial solvent waste was disposed of in a lagoon and a series of trenches.
In addition, from the 1950s to 1978, oil-contaminated water was also disposed of in a pit, but these liquids were eventually drained and the pit was backfilled and seeded.
Investigations from 1984 to 1987 showed soil and groundwater contamination.
NPL Listing History
- The groundwater treatment system was completed in 1992.
The monitoring well system was completed in 1994.
Cleanup of contaminated soils was completed in 1995.
Additional monitoring wells were completed in 1996.
- A new sump was built to collect groundwater on the eastern side of the site in 1999.
Monitoring of surface water, groundwater and residential wells is ongoing, as is groundwater treatment.
The 2007 Five-Year Review of the site, which was done to ensure that all the cleanup actions continued to protect the community, recommended that additional evaluations be done of the groundwater remedy, vapor intrusion, and institutional controls.
- As a result, 1) the vapor intrusion study was done in the on-site building and in residential homes; 2) institutional controls were put in place restricting use of the site; and 3) the supplemental site investigations were done to trace ongoing sources of groundwater contamination.
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs), especially trichloroethene (TCE), which are the major components of solvents, have been found in the groundwater, surface water and sols at the site.
Low levels of VOCs have been detected in off-site private wells, and as a result, these wells have treatment systems to remove the contaminants.
- The groundwater on-site, if consumed, could pose a health risk.
- Contaminant descriptions and associated risk factors are available from the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, the environmental arm of the CDC.
- To search an on-line database of all documents and reports on the Bendix Flight Systems Division site, go to EPA’s Administrative Record Database.
- All documents and reports can also be reviewed in person at these locations:
Susquehanna Planning Commission
31 Public Avenue
County Office Building
Montrose, PA 18801
U.S. EPA Region III
1650 Arch Street-6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below.
- Bendix Record of Decision (September 30, 1988) (PDF) (116 pp, 5.5MB)
- First Explanation of Significant Differences (November 22, 1996) (PDF) (3 pp, 190KB)
- Second Explanation of Significant Differences (June 11, 2008) (PDF) (7 pp, 1.27MB)
- Fourth Five-Year Review (2012) (PDF) (114 pp, 4.37MB)
Figures 1 to 5 (PDF) (5 pp, 3.55MB)
Figures 6 to 10 (PDF) (5 pp, 2.42MB)
- Third Five-Year Review (2007) (PDF) (50 pp, 1.73MB)
2007 Five-Year Review Addendum (August 2011) (PDF) (8 pp, 3.77MB)
- Second Five-Year Review (2002) (PDF) (12 pp, 728KB)
- First Five-Year Review (1997) (PDF) (6 pp, 418KB)
- April 2009 (PDF) (47 pp, 6.89MB)
- October 2009 (PDF) (50 pp, 6.37MB)
- April 2010 (PDF) (47 pp, 5.76MB)
- October 2010 (PDF) (56 pp, 6.38MB)
- Final Off-site Residential Soil Vapor Intrusion Investigation Report (February 2011) (PDF) (37 pp, 1.33MB)
- Final On-Site Soil Vapor Intrusion Investigation Report (August 2008) (PDF) (66 pp, 3.69MB)
- Final Report on Groundwater Modeling and Capture Zone Analysis (January 2009) (PDF) (50 pp, 3.54MB)
- Environmental Covenant on Bendix Property (PDF) (22 pp, 906KB)
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. $Fee$ for requests over 100 pages.