Region 3 Accomplishments
Environmental Indicator data details progress the Superfund Program has made toward its goal of protecting human health and the environment. This data includes the amount of hazardous waste addressed as well as population protection measures such as providing alternative drinking water and/or relocating facilities. Below are some of the highlights of the progress made at Region 3 National Priority List (NPL) Sites.
Superfund at Work in Region 3 (April 2013)
EPA Region 3 has worked aggressively to clean up the hazardous waste problems in Region 3. The Superfund program continues to make progress in cleaning up hazardous waste sites to protect human health and the environment. Since 1980, the Region 3 program, along with State and Tribal partners, has assessed nearly 5960 sites. To date, 4866 sites (82%) have been removed from the Superfund Inventory to help encourage economic redevelopment, while 1094 sites (18%) remain active with the site assessment program, or are on the National Priorities List (NPL). 215 of 219 NPL sites identified as having the worst contamination have final cleanup activities either completed, currently underway or designed.
- The removal program has conducted 1,254 removals of 802 sites. This includes federal facilities (FF) removals.
- 789 (62.9%) are time critical.
- 91 (7.3%) are non-time critical.
- 374 (29.8%) are unclassified.
- 219 sites are either proposed, final, or deleted from the NPL.
- 4 sites are proposed to the NPL.
- 215 sites are final, or deleted from the NPL.
- 170 sites (79.1%) final on the NPL.
- 45 sites (20.9%) deleted from the NPL.
- 141 (66%) sites are construction completed of which 5 are federal facilities (FF).
- 127 sites have post construction activity underway (e.g. Institutional controls, 5 year reviews, operations and maintenance, and/or long term response actions).
- 74 (34%) sites with construction needed or ongoing , of which 26 sites are federal facilities (FF).
- 45 sites have remedial construction underway.
- 27 sites have study or design underway ( 27 sites with removal activity).
- 2 sites are pending study or design.
- 213 sites (97%) have had construction activity, are completed, or deleted.
- 157 sites (72%) have all final cleanup plans approved.
Responsible parties are performing 70% of the ongoing long-term cleanups and are performing 63% of the designs for future cleanup actions. Potentially Responsible Party funding has saved taxpayers more than $3.61 billion to date in Region 3.
EPA Region 3 has completed settlements with 2,302 small volume contributors at 32 NPL Sites, removing these parties from the liability system.