IMPORTANT NOTICE – Please Read
Beginning October 1, 2015, this website will undergo improvements. During this time, access to some information may not be immediately available. For assistance locating information, please contact the Community Involvement Coordinator listed below in the "Contacts" section of this page. Thank you for your patience as we work to improve your access to site information.
Foster Wheeler Energy Corporation/Church Road TCE
EPA ID: PAD003031788
Mountaintop, PA 18707
Congressional District: 11th
Other Names:Mountain Top TCE
Last Updated: January 2015
Remedial Project Manager
Remedial Project Manager
Community Involvement Coordinator
Larry C. Johnson
215-814-3239 or (800) 553-2509
- Remedial Investigation field work has been ongoing since 2010 and is expected to be complete in early 2013.
The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
Larry C. Johnson 215-814-3239 or (800) 553-2509
On This Page
- On April 3, 2009, USEPA and the Foster Wheeler Energy Corporation (FWEC) signed an Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent (AOC) to conduct a Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Study (RI/FS) at the site. The AOC was negotiated within the context of the Superfund Alternative approach, under which the investigation and cleanup of the site may proceed without listing the site on the National Priorities List (NPL).
- On November 5, 2009 a Data Gap Analysis Report (DGAR), the first deliverable pursuant to the AOC to aid in scoping the RI/FS was approved by USEPA.
- Subsequently, the RI/FS Work Plan was prepared by FWEC and accepted by USEPA on March 22, 2010.
- The RI field work was completed in early 2014, consisting generally of vapor intrusion sampling, soil sampling, surface water and sediment sampling, and monitoring well installation and sampling. The Draft RI Report is currently being reviewed by EPA and the Draft FS Report is expected to be completed in late 2015.
- The Foster Wheeler Energy Corporation/Church Road TCE Site consists of the former Foster Wheeler facility and the Church Road TCE site located in Mountain Top, Wright Township, Pennsylvania.
- The former Foster Wheeler facility is located in the Crestwood Industrial Park Complex and was operated as a pressure vessel manufacturing plant from 1953 through 1984.
- The Church Road TCE site, located approximately 1 mile south of the former Foster Wheeler facility, consists primarily of what is known as the Affected Area, comprised of impacted wells and springs.
NPL Listing History
|Status: Proposed||Added: April 9, 2009|
- In 1984, soil and groundwater contamination by trichloroethylene (TCE) was identified at the former Foster Wheeler facility.
- In February 1988, Foster Wheeler, USEPA, and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) entered into a Consent Agreement and Order requiring Foster Wheeler to construct a groundwater treatment system to address contaminated groundwater at the site.
- In 1993, the system was completed and remains in operation. Monitoring of the system is currently conducted by Foster Wheeler on an annual basis and the results are provided to USEPA and PADEP.
- In September 2004, sampling at the Church Road TCE Site was first conducted by Foster Wheeler and identified 14 residential wells along Church Road that were impacted with TCE above the Federal regulatory limit of 5 parts per billion (ppb).
- USEPA was notified of the sampling results and, in October 2004, affected residents were provided bottled water for drinking. Additional residential well testing identified a total of 37 wells that were impacted by TCE.
- As an interim measure, all impacted residences were provided with carbon filtration systems from November 2004 through April 2005.
- In August 2005, Foster Wheeler and USEPA entered into an Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent requiring Foster Wheeler to connect impacted residents to a public water line to eliminate exposure to TCE.
- In July 2007, the water line was completed and impacted wells were disconnected and abandoned.
- Since 2004, USEPA and Foster Wheeler have conducted additional investigation activities to further characterize the nature and extent of contamination. The results of these and all previous investigations were evaluated and compiled into the DGAR to help determine the scope of the RI/FS.
- In late April 2010, initial RI/FS field activities were begun.
- The contaminant of the concern at the site is trichloroethylene (TCE).
- Contaminant descriptions and associated risk factors are available at: (ATSDR web site).
- To search an on-line database of all documents and reports on the Foster Wheeler Energy Corporation/Church Road TCE site, go to EPA’s Administrative Record Database.
- All documents and reports can also be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region 3 NPL Public Docket
c/o U.S. EPA Region 3 Library
1650 Arch Street, 2nd floor (3PM52)
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Contact: Dawn Shellenberger
EPA Region 3 NPL Docket Coordinator
215-814-5364 or 215-814-5254
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below.
Health Consultation (PDF) (44 pp, 0.98MB)
NPL Site Narrative at Listing
Hazard Ranking System (HRS) Documentation Record (PDF) (49 pp, 1.92MB)*
* The documentation record provided is available at the time of proposal for informational purposes. An official copy of the documentation record and the documents referenced in it are available in the EPA Region 3 NPL Public Docket at the EPA Region 3 Library. Copies of materials in EPA's electronic docket for the site's proposal to the NPL are also accessible online through Regulations.gov under Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-SFUND-2009-0065.Public Meeting Notice - May 2009 (PDF) (1 p, 140K)
Letter of Intent Notice - October 2009 (PDF) (1 p, 55.1k)
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. $Fee$ for requests over 100 pages.
- Community Involvement Plan 2010 (PDF) (46 pp, 1.29MB)
- Federal Register
04/09/2009: National Priorities List, Proposed Rule No. 50 (74 FR 16162-16179)
- Fact Sheets
November 2008 - FAQs (PDF) (10 pp, 1.92MB)
- Press Releases
04/08/2009: EPA Adds Nine Hazardous Waste Sites to Superfund’s National Priorities List / EPA also proposes to add an additional 13 new sites to the NPL
04/08/2009 Foster Wheeler Site Proposed for Superfund List
- This site currently does not meet the criteria for Site-wide Ready for Anticipated Use; however parts of the site may be suitable for reuse.
- Want more information about how to reuse a Superfund site?