Dalzell Viking Glass Company
Current Site Information
EPA Region 3 (Mid-Atlantic)West Virginia
EPA ID# WVSFN0305531
1st Congressional District
Last Update: March 2001
No future updates
Current Site Status
The removal action for this site was initiated November 29, 1999 and completed in July of 2000. A further assessment of the groundwater and residual contamination continues.
The site consists of a main production building which is comprised of several segmented additions and is located in an urban area on the west side of the city. The 76,300 square foot building is comprised of several production and storage areas as well as office and showroom areas. The (approximately) four-acre site is situated in an old flood plain just east of the Ohio River. A residential community of approximately 100 homes are located within the immediate vicinity of the site. The nearest residences are within 100 feet to the north, east, and south of the facility. The site is bordered to the west by a railroad right of way. Open areas between the buildings are enclosed by a fence. An unnamed tributary to the Ohio River runs underneath the property.
The facility originated as New Martinsville Glass in 1900. In 1987, the plant was purchased and renamed Dalzell-Viking Glass. The facility had three furnaces fueled by natural gas which produced approximately 5 tons of glass per day. In 1998 the company entered into bankruptcy. The furnaces were shut down. On May 17, 1999 the company went into receivership. The assets of the company were sold off and the facility was left in an abandoned condition. Numerous windows were broken in the building and several doors were kicked in and/or compromised.
Site ResponsibilityThis site is being addressed by an EPA Superfund Removal Action.
NPL Listing HistoryThis site is not on the National Priorities List.