Swanson Creek Oil Spill
Phases of Cleanup
Most commonly asked question: "When are you getting to my area?" The unified command of the EPA, Pepco and the Maryland Department of the Environment is addressing the oil spill in the following manner:
- Phase One
- Remove free floating oil from the main river channel to eliminate the possibility of further contamination. When completed, then...
- Contain and remove enough oil in environmentally sensitive and heavily affected shorelines to prevent recontamination in river. When completed, then...
- Phase Two
- YOUR AREA and other affected locations until complete.
- Although this is the order of priorities, many of these steps can take place simultaneously (e.g. first cleaning property owners' shoreline located in environmentally sensitive areas)
- This process will continue until the affected areas are cleaned and fully restored.
Want More Info?
- Pepco Hotline & Toll Free Claims 1-800-685-1266
- MD Dept. Natural Resources 1-888-584-3110
- USEPA Cleanup 1-800-553-2509