Mid-Atlantic Beaches, Oceans & Estuaries Quick Finder
|Beaches, Oceans & Estuaries Home Assateague Island Beaches Delaware Beaches Pennsylvania Beaches, Lake Erie||Maryland Beaches Virginia Beaches Oceans and the Mid Atlantic CoastMonitoring||Estuaries Chesapeake Bay No Discharge Zones|
Delaware State Parks On-Line
Delaware's Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) monitors Delaware's entire ocean coast (in Sussex County), Delaware Bay coast, Inland Bays (Rehoboth Bay, Indian River Bay, and Little Assawoman Bay), and a number of freshwater ponds. Beach season sampling runs from the second Monday in May through the second Monday in September. Off-season sampling is conducted in conjunction with the Delaware Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation.
Over the years, Delaware has refined its sampling program to make it more efficient and effective. Delaware applies sophisticated mathematical models to determine where and when rainfall may cause elevated bacteria levels and the associated swimming advisories.
Delaware has updated its recreational water standards to make them consistent with the BEACH Act standards. Advisories are issued if a single sample of marine water exceeds 104 enterococci per 100 milliliters of sample or if the running geometric mean over a 30-day period at a site exceeds 35 enterococci per 100 milliliters.
There is a permanent caution regarding swimming in Rehoboth Bay, Indian River Bay, and Little Assawoman Bay, particularly after a heavy rain, as these Inland Bays are poorly-flushed.
Beaches Routinely Monitored In Delaware
Sussex County (Marine Beaches):
- Bethany Beach
- Broadkill Beach
- Cape Henlopen State Park
- Cape Henlopen at Herring Point
- Delaware Seashore State Park, South Inlet
- Delaware Seashore State Park, surfing beach
- Delaware Seashore State Park, Tower Road, ocean side
- Delaware Seashore State Park, Tower Road, bay side
- Dewey Beach at Dagsworthy St.
- Dewey Beach at Swedes St.
- Fenwick Island State Park (ocean side)
- Gordon's Pond (named after the pond to the west)
- Holts Landing Beach
- Lewes Beach North
- Lewes Beach South
- Maryland Line (Fenwick Island)
- Prime Hook Beach
- Public Landings
- New Road (Rehoboth Bay)
- Savages Ditch (Rehoboth Bay)
- Haven Bay Road (Rehoboth Bay)
- North Inlet Marina (Inlet)
- DSSP Campground (Inlet)
- Rosedale Ramp (Indian River Bay)
- Long Neck Ramp (Massey's Landing)
- Boat Rental Area (Little Assawoman)
- Rehoboth Beach - Queen St. Beach
- Rehoboth Beach - Rehoboth Ave.
- Rehoboth Beach - Virginia Ave.
- Slaughter Beach
- South Bethany Beach
State Contact For Delaware Beaches
Debbie Rouse (email@example.com)
Shellfish and Recreational Water Branch
Watershed Assessment Section
DE Department of Natural Resources & Environmental Control
820 Silver Lake Blvd., Suite 220
Dover, DE 19904-2464
Fax = 302-739-6140