Former IBM Manassas VA Facility
Bristoe Station Offsite Investigation
EPA RCRA ID: VAD064872575
9500 Godwin Drive
Manassas VA 20110
Interactive Google Map of IBM Site
Last Updated: August 2013
Bristoe Station Offsite Investigation
IBM Corporation (IBM) has been conducting environmental investigations and remediation activities at its former facility in Manassas, Virginia (the Site) for over 30 years. The purpose of the investigations and remediation was/is to assess and remediate volatile organic compounds (VOCs) present below ground at the Site and in the vicinity. The VOCs are associated with historical manufacturing operations at the Site. These investigation and remediation activities have been and continue to be conducted under the oversight of the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) and the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ).
Building 101, located on-site, was used for electronic component manufacturing from 1969 until 1975. The primary chemical used in manufacturing was tetrachloroethene (also referred to as perchloroethene, PCE, or perc) a likely human carcinogenby all routes of exposure, The source of VOCs was primarily the releases from the former Building 101 storage tank area and, to a lesser extent, underground wastewater tanks and pipelines located south of Wellington Road.
IBM has been investigating the potential for "vapor intrusion" at the Building 101 area of the Site for several years since PCE and other VOCs were found on-site. The term "vapor intrusion" is used to describe how VOCs can migrate, under certain conditions, from subsurface soil/rock and groundwater up to the ground surface and potentially entering buildings. VOC vapors can enter a building through foundation cracks, conveyance holes for pipes, etc.). For more information on vapor intrusion refer to the EPA's site on vapor intrusion.
Starting in February 2011, IBM conducted an initial off-site investigation (Phase 1) in the McRae Court area of Bristoe Station, which is adjacent to the former IBM property, north of the current fence line) . The purpose of the investigation was to determine: (1) off-site presence of VOCs in the soil, bedrock, groundwater and subsurface air, and (2) to assess whether vapor intrusion into townhouses might be occurring. Groundwater wells and vapor implants (wells) were installed off-site. The investigation showed that site-related contaminants were found in the subsurface environment. Based on the results, EPA requested that IBM further delineate extent of off-site contamination (Phase 2).
In October 2011, IBM installed three additional vapor and groundwater extraction wells along the B101/Bristoe Station fence line. Pilot testing of combined groundwater and vapor extraction from the new wells (about 30 feet deep) began in 2011. The Report for this and operation performance is available under Section D of this webpage.
The Phase 2 investigation began in June 2012. More wells and implants were installed off-site, and EPA concluded that the contaminant areas were characterized and delineated.
IBM conducted a Phase 3 off-site investigation in February 2013. The purpose of this investigation was to sample for site-related VOCs in indoor air and subsurface vapor in McRae Court townhomes located close to areas with contamination in the subsurface. IBM solicited residents to participate in the study, which entailed allowing IBM and their consultant access to set up samplers in the home and retrieve them the next day.
The US EPA has posted Workplans, Reports and Fact Sheets to this webpage, in Section D. Updates will also be posted to this page. The findings of the investigations are regularly communicated to the US EPA and Virginia Department of Environmental Quality. Findings will also be communicated regularly to Bristoe Station residents through reports and fact sheets. Workplans and Reports are also available at:
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
U.S. EPA Region III
- IBM Feb. 2013 Fact Sheet: McRae Ct. Indoor Air Sampling[1 pp, 53 KB, about pdf]
- IBM Feb. 2013 Hoja Informativa para el Vecindario[1 pp, 48 KB, about pdf]
- EPA IBM Corrective Action Factsheet[4 pp, 157 KB, about pdf]
- IBM Fact Sheet on IBM Manassas Facility [4pp, 289 KB, about pdf]
- IBM En Manassas Hoja Informativ [4pp, 304 KB, about pdf]
- IBM Mansassas Updated Supplemental Vapor Intrusion Workplan 2010[116 pp, 10.1 MB, about pdf]
- Generalized Workzone of IBM Manassas Environmental Investigation [1 page, 1.53 MB, about pdf]
- IBM Fact Sheet Flyer on IBM Manassas Facility [1p page, 118 KB, about pdf]
- IBM Flyer- Espanol : Planta Antigua De IBM En Manassas[1 page, 118 KB, about pdf]
- IBM Manasass Bristoe Station Project Slides 2010 [1p, 1.03 MB, about pdf]
- IBM Manassas Groundwater Project Review Presentation to EPA May 2010 [19pp, 708 KB, about pdf]
- Phase 2 Investigation Data Report (July 2012)[ 374 pp 7.95 MB, about pdf]
- Monitoring Data -12 Month Report (January 2013)[1248 pp 26.76 MB, about pdf]
- PCE Summary- Groundwater & Vapor Data (2011-2012) [4 pp 912 KB, about pdf]
- June 2012 Workplan Addedum Letter[3 pp, 1109 KB, about pdf]
- IBM Environmental Investigation Spring 2012 Update[3 pp, 190 KB, about pdf]
- Indoor Air Sampling Workplan - February 2013[ 120 pp 6.785 MB, about pdf]
- Summary Report of Indoor Air Sampling-August 2013[ 45 pp 1.07 MB, about pdf]
- IBM Enviromental Investigation August 2013 Update [ 1 pp 169 KB, about pdf]
- IBM Investigacion Medioambiental Actualizacion De Agosto 2013[ 1 pp 169 KB, about pdf]
- (To Be Posted)
Fact sheets: EPA and IBM
Phase 1 Investigation
Phase 2 Investigation
Phase 3 Investigation
Recovery Wells Report
|IBM Manasass Site Overview with Bristoe Station.||Bristoe Station Site Monitor Details||Schematic of Typical Vapor Monitor Equipment||Typical Enviromental Investigation Workzone|
(Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- IBM Project Manager
- EPA Project Manager
Land and Chemicals Divison
- EPA Communication Co-ordinator
Land and Chemicals Division
- Virginia Dept of Environmental Quality
The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA's Project Manager listed above .