Johnson Controls Battery Group Inc.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr William Geiger 3LC20
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone: (215) 814-3413
Delaware DNREC Project Contact
State Project Officer
P.O.Box 1401 , 89 Kings Highway
Dover, DE 19901
Phone: (302) 739-9403
- RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility were conducted under the direction of EPA Region 3 with assistance from the State. EPA and DNREC issued a Final Decision of no further action with institutional controls on December 23, 2005. The final remedy included excavation of nearby and onsite contaminated soils, and cleaning of rooftops, down spouts and gutters under an EPA and Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) approved workplan. The institutional controls are being enforced under a United Environmental Covenants Act (UECA) agreement.
- All remedial actions were advertised to provide public notice. No community responses were received.
- Located in Middletown, DE., since 1961, the facility manufactures commercial and industrial lead/acid batteries. Urban sprawl has changed its industrial rural location to include residential development at its borders.
- The primary contaminant of concern at the facility was lead in soil.
- . The institutional controls are being enforced under a United Environmental Covenants Act (UECA) agreement.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [7pp, 26 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [8pp, 37 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Johnson Controls||Johnson Controls GeoSpatial PDF-Map [PDF, 1.4 MB, 1 page About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF-Map)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: William Geiger (215) 814-3413.