Ametek Inc - Haveg Div
On This Page
Luis A. Pizarro 3LC20
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone: (215) 814-3444
DNREC Project Manager
Ben Mack Hydrologist
Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control
Solid and Hazardous Waste Management Section
89 Kings Highway
Dover, DE 19901
Phone: (302) 739-9403
- The AMETEK Haveg facility is subject to the RCRA Corrective Action Program because in 1983, the facility operations required the use of a RCRA Part B Permit. The Corrective Action is being completed by AMETEK voluntarily as agreed upon between AMETEK and DNREC.
- In May 2008, AMETEK submitted the RCRA Facility Assessment (RFA) Report to characterize current environmental conditions. This report outlined all the areas of the site where waste was managed, as well as areas of concern where waste may have been released. Seventeen Solid Waste Management Units (SWMUs) and five Areas of Concern (AOCs) were identified by DNREC and ERM during the RFA process. DNREC approved the report in August 2008.
- Ametek developed a RCRA Facility Investigation (RFI) work plan to specify where initial sampling would take place, which DNREC approved in March 2009. Sampling work has taken place in accordance with the RFI work plan.
- The RFI was completed by Ametek in 2009 and the results of the investigation were documented in the RCRA RFI Report dated March 2010. As a follow-up to the RFI, a Phase II RFI work plan was submitted by Ametek in July 2010. The work plan required collection of additional soil and groundwater samples.
- The Environmental Indicator for Current Human Exposures Under Control was completed on September 30, 2010.
- The Phase II RFI was completed by Ametek in 2010 and the results of this investigation were documented in the Phase II RCRA RFI Report dated December 2010. As part of the Phase II RFI investigation, five (5) monitoring wells were installed at the site. Ametek submitted groundwater monitoring reports in March 2012, August 2013, June 2014, and January 2015. Once the final groundwater sampling event has been completed, Ametek will submit the groundwater data in a report to DNREC for consideration.
- After the remaining groundwater data have been collected and submitted to DNREC, Ametek will generate complete the Environmental Indicator for Groundwater Control and the Corrective Measures Study (CMS). Both documents will be submitted to DNREC for approval.
- The site is located at 900 Greenbank Road, New Castle County, Delaware. The property is bisected by Kirkwood Highway and is comprised of 32.41 acres. The area to the north of Kirkwood Highway is zoned residential, while the land to the south is zoned primarily for industrial usage.
- The site has functioned as a manufacturing facility from the late 1800's to 2004 when operations at the site ceased. The first known use for the site was as an iron works facility. Delaware Hard Fiber Company purchased the site in 1906 and manufactured vulcanized fiber products until 1933. The site was purchased by Haveg Industries in 1933 and was operated as a manufacturing facility for heat and corrosion-resistant equipment. Haveg was acquired as a wholly owned subsidiary of Hercules in 1964. Ametek acquired the facility in 1980 and manufactured phenolic resin and Teflon tubing at the site until closure in 2004.
- RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility are being conducted under the direction of the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC), with assistance from U.S. EPA Region III.
- This site has drawn considerable interest from the surrounding community. DNREC has responded to requests for information as they have been received. Currently, DNREC's primary method of communicating with the community is through regular interaction with the local civic association, which has shown great interest in the outcome of this remediation.
- The main contaminants in the soil, groundwater, and surface water are chlorinated solvents, some polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and metals.
- No institutional controls are currently in place.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [6 pages, 182 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Ametek Inc - Haveg Div|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The site is currently unused.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA: Luis A. Pizarro (215) 814-3444.