Exide Investigation Meeting November 2001
Exide Investigation Fact Sheet
November 27, 2001
Muhlenberg High School
1. Define Study Area
Collected additional soil samples.
Ran a statistical model.
Results of the model (i.e., study area)
2. Soil Sampling of Individual Properties
- Sampled approximately 425 properties.
- Approximately 10,000 sample locations.
- Determined average soil lead concentrations for each property.
- Sent soil results to property owners.
3. Properties Grouped into 3 Categories
- 106 properties do not pose a health risk and therefore, do not require clean-ups.
- 44 properties have soil lead concentrations of 1200 mg/kg or greater. Thirty-seven out of the 44 properties will require soil clean-ups in Spring 2002. The remaining 7 properties will be addressed in subsequent clean-ups.
- 283 properties will be retained and re-evaluated for the second phase study next year.
4. Expand and Complete the Study Area
- Verified study area model with field data.
- Expanded study area encompasses an additional 150 properties.
- Complete soil sampling of the properties by mid-December.
- Properties will be classified into the 3 categories.
5. Bernhart Park Assessment
- Soil sampling.
- Surface water sampling.
- Sediment sampling.
- Clean-up and re-open Bernhart Park.
6. Ongoing and Future Activities
- Complete soil sampling of the expanded study area by December 2001.
- Clean-up 37 properties in Spring 2002 with the 7 properties to follow.
- Clean-up Bernhart Park in Spring 2002 and re-open in Summer 2002.
- Collect data for the second phase study in Summer 2002.
- Complete second phase study in Spring 2003.
- Re-evaluate remaining properties and commence clean-ups in Spring 2003.
Study Area and Property Determinations
Black Outline: Exide Facility and Bernhart Park
Blue Line: Study Area
Yellow Line: Expanded Study Area
Green Area: Properties that do no require clean-ups
Red Area: Properties with soil lead concentrations of 1200 mg/kg or greater
Orange Area: Properties that will be cleaned-up in Spring 2002
Grey Area: Properties not sampled due to access difficulties
White Area within the Study Area: Properties that will be retained and re-evaluated for the second phase study next year