U.S. Naval Academy
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Luis A Pizzarro
Office of Remediation, LCD
US EPA Region 3
Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) Project Contact
1800 Washington Blvd., Suite 645
Baltimore, MD 21230-1719
Phone: (410) 537-3000
- EPA issued a final remedy decision for the site on January 8, 2015.
- EPA's remedy for the site consists of requiring the Facility to maintain a soil cover system and implement and maintain groundwater use and land use restrictions through Institutional Controls at Solid Waste Management Unit (SWMU) 13. SWMUs 6 and 8; Areas of Concern 3, 4, and 12; and the Perry Center Storm Water Sewer are considered Corrective Action Complete without Controls.
- Since on or about the 1910s wet garbage and refuse generated at the various Severn River Naval Command activities were burned in an incinerator in SWMU13 and some refuse, wood, and scrap metal were deposited along the southern shoreline of the Shady Lake.
- Results from the environmental investigations identified that SWMU 13 is underlain by a thick sequence of fill with layers of ash and cinder.
- The historic operation of the Former Storage Yard Number One, Incinerator, and Rubbish Pile, SWMU 13 resulted in the release of metal and organic contamination.
- To address the potential adverse effect to the ecological environment (avian omnivores represented by robins) a soil cover was installed in 2009.
- Elevated levels of lead were identified in surface soil at Solid Waste Management Unit (SWMU) 13 based of the finding of the RCRA Corrective Action Investigations. The combination of data from hotspot delineation sampling events and the findings of the risk assessment indicated that a potential for adverse effect to avian omnivores from the presence of lead in the surface soil.
- The RCRA Corrective Action Investigations also identified unacceptable risks from elevated levels of lead in the subsurface soil exist in SWMU 13.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments [PDF,2 pages, 76 KB, About DF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 32 pages, 9.89 MB, About DF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 9 pages, 40 KB, About DF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [PDF, 8 pages, 25 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|US Naval Academy|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr Luis Pizzaro (215) 814-3444.