On This Page
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- On November 1994, EPA signed a Consent Order with Boulden under the authority of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). This Order required Boulden to conduct a RCRA Facility Investigation (RFI) to investigate all the areas where it is necessary to determine the extent and nature of releases of hazardous wastes; and a Corrective Measures Study which will propose final clean up actions for the entire facility
- Subsequent to issuance of the RCRA 3008(h) Order, Boulden proposed closure of the facility. Boulden submitted to EPA a workplan to perform corrective action activities at the site. Activities performed at Boulden consisted of: removal of all above ground storage tanks, distillation building and associated equipment; excavation and closure of two underground storage tanks; removal of all contaminated soil; soil and groundwater sampling. Water samples taken by Boulden and EPA showed that groundwater has not been significantly impacted and a risk to human health and the environment is not present at the site.
- EPA has determined that the Boulden facility in Elkton, MD has been effectively cleaned up and no further action is necessary at the site. Boulden has demonstrated, to the satisfaction of EPA, that the terms of the Consent Order issued under Section 3008(h) of RCRA to Boulden in November 25, 1994, have been satisfactorily completed.
- The facility is located at 895 Nottingham Road, Cecil County, Elkton, Maryland. Boulden operated a small parts cleaning service which recycled cleaning solvent and stored chemicals that were used in the operation.
- The primary risk was from the parts cleaner which was Stoddard Solvent.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 33 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [PDF, 8 pages, 48 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr. Luis A. Pizarro(215)-814-3444.