Bettis Atomic Power Lab
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Griff Miller
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
- Effective October 8, 2010, the remedy for the Bettis facility that was described in the October 1997 Final Decision and Response to Comments is complete. On September 8, 2010, EPA submitted a supplemental Statement of Basis that proposed the substitution of an institutional control in lieu of the only incomplete remedial component from the 1997 FDRTC (collection/treatment of Inactive Waste Site seepage). This new institutional control became effective October 8, 2010 and includes monitoring an off-site property for the absence or presence of water supply wells.
- The Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory is owned by the U.S. Department of Energy and is currently operated by Bechtel Bettis, Incorporated. Operations at the Facility began in 1949 and continue today. These operations include the designing, developing, testing and monitoring operations of nuclear propulsion plants for naval surface ships and submarines. Specifically, the Facility exists to support this nation's capability to deploy and maintain a modern nuclear navy.
- Contaminants at the Facility include chlorinated solvents and low levels of polychlorinated biphenyls and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in groundwater and sediment from springs that originate on the Facility. Off-site sampling of groundwater has determined that contamination from the Facility is not impacting off-site groundwater above levels of concern. The low levels of contamination in Facility sediment is not expected to adversely affect potential receptors.
Several institutional and engineering controls have been implemented at the Bettis facility:
- Deed restriction preventing installation of on-site drinking water wells
- Zoning ordinance preventing residential construction on facility property
- Requirement to monitor land use downgradient of Inactive Waste Site for absence or presence of water supply wells
- Maintenance of caps/covers at Inactive Waste Site, former Underground Storage Tank/Waste Oil Storage Tank areas, and Trash Chute area
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments [4pp, 153 KB, About PDF]
- Bettis Atomic Power Corrective Action Statement of Basis [8pp, 90 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [7pp, 25 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [8pp, 32 KB, about pdf
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Bettis Atomic Power Lab||Bettis Atomic Power Lab GeoSpatial PDF Map[PDF, 1885 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map)
- Bettis continues to use the facility to support the nation's nuclear naval assets.