On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Griff Miller
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
PADEP Project Manager
Camelia Draghiciu, Geologic Specialist
Waste Management Division
Southeast Regional Office
Phone: (484) 250-5743
- EPA has evaluated available information and has determined that both human exposures to contamination and the migration of contaminated groundwater are under control at the SPS Technologies facility. Results from the October 2010 groundwater monitoring event show that low levels of trichloroethene and cadmium remain in groundwater in two areas beneath the Facility. Due to this isolated extent of groundwater contamination below the former impoundments and the low levels of contamination remaining, remedial obligations at the facility are anticipated to be met through an environmental covenant that restricts groundwater use at the facility.
- Since 1901, SPS Technologies has manufactured specialty metal fasteners and machined parts for the aviation and aerospace industries.
- Remedial investigations at the facility began in the 1980s and included remediation of a leaking underground storage tank, the closure of wastewater impoundments, and a RCRA Facility Assessment. Monitoring of groundwater beneath the facility also began at this time and remains a post-closure requirement for the wastewater impoundments.
- Contaminants resulting from facility operations include chlorinated solvents (primarily trichloroethene) and cadmium. Due to the low levels of contamination present in groundwater beneath the facility, any pathways to this contamination are not expected to be complete, i.e. potential receptors are not likely to be exposed to contamination from the facility via soil, air, surface water, or off-site groundwater.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [7pp, 25 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [8pp, 32 KB, about pdf
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- SPS continues to use the facility for specialty metals manufacturing.