Eastman Chemical Resins, Inc.
(Former Hercules Incorporated - Jefferson Plant)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Kevin Bilash - 3LC30
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-2796
PADEP Project Manager
Southwest Regional Office
400 Waterfront Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-4745
Phone: (412) 442-4000
- Corrective Action Status:
Corrective Action Underway
- Human Exposure Controlled:
- Ground Water Controlled:
RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility are being conducted under the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the PADEP. Under the MOA, the Pennsylvania Department of Protection (PADEP) Project Manager has the overall lead, while the EPA Project Manager provides support to address RCRA issues.
The Eastman Plant is located on Route 837 between the intersections with Madison Avenue and Jones Street in West Elizabeth, Jefferson Borough, Pennsylvania. It is situated along the west bank of the Monongahela River adjacent to Lock and Dam Number 3. The majority of the site is developed with paved roadways, buildings, process equipment, and above ground storage tanks.
The plant was constructed in 1950 by the former Pennsylvania Industrial Chemical Corporation (PICCO) as an extension of the PICCO Resins Plant. In 1973, Hercules acquired all facilities, assets, and liabilities of PICCO. Hercules expanded operations in the early 1980’s with the purchase of a neighboring property including the current warehouse that was constructed in 1952. After a joint venture with Sanyo, Hercules sold the Jefferson Plant to Eastman Chemical resins, a subsidiary of Eastman Chemical Company on May 1, 2001.
Hydrocarbon resin production began in 1954. Little is known about the operations during this time period until Hercules ownership. The Jefferson Plant, during the period owned by Hercules and now as Eastman, converts petroleum-based raw materials into different hydrocarbon resins, intermediates, and co-products that are utilized in the adhesives, graphic arts, rubber, and photocopy industries.
In November 1989, Hercules entered into a Consent Order and Agreement (COA) with PADEP to address areas of groundwater contamination. Due to subsequent studies, an interceptor trench was constructed at the lower plant to prevent contaminated groundwater from seeping into the Monongahela River. This trench is called the Lower Plant Interceptor Trench (LPIT) and has been in operation since 1990 with an extension performed in 1997. A second interceptor trench was installed under the unnamed tributary running through the site to abate groundwater contamination and seeps entering the tributary. This trench is called the Under Creek Interceptor Trench (UCIT) and was installed in 1995.
- Corrective Action Facility Factsheet [PDF, 2 pages, 21 KB, About ]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
(215) ) 814-2796
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
|Eastman Chemical Resins, Inc.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
Site is under continued use.
For more information about EPA's corrective action webpage, including Environmental Indicators, please visit our site at: www.epa.gov/reg3wcmd/correctiveaction.htm