Keystone Chemical Company
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3407
The final remedy for the former facility is complete and consists of institutional controls to restrict land use and groundwater use. These institutional controls will be codified in an environmental covenant to be finalized shortly. The Final Decision for the facility was issued by EPA on September 28, 2012.
An Environmental Indicator (EI) inspection was performed in February 2009 to determine if human exposures to contamination and migration of contaminated groundwater are under control at the former Keystone Chemical facility. Remedial efforts since the facility’s closure in 1986 have focused on proper closure of Impoundment A and groundwater monitoring primarily for hazardous inorganic contaminants leaching from the impoundment. In March 1993 the facility obtained clean closure certification from the PADEP. EPA determined that both EIs were under control at the facility after a May 2011 site visit. More information on the investigation and remediation of the facility can be found in the Statement of Basis, below.
The former Keystone Chemical facility was originally used for the disposal of coal refuse and was also mined for coal in the 1970s. In 1978 the facility was leased to Keystone Chemical, who operated a waste oil recovery operation and a landfill (Impoundment A) for the disposal of stabilized sludge. The facility was sold to Van Dexter Manufacturing in 1982, who continued to operate the facility under the Keystone Chemical name. All operations ceased at the facility in 1986. All operational structures were demolished, wastes deposited in impoundment A were removed, and the impoundment was closed. The facility is currently vacant and owned by the Trustees of the Estate of Stephen Girard.
Primary contaminants at the facility included heavy metals from the stabilized sludge deposited in Impoundment A and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from the waste oil recovery operation. Sludges and waste material were subsequently removed from Impoundment A during closure of the facility, and VOCs were not detected above protective levels in groundwater samples taken by PADEP in 1992. PADEP determined that elevated concentrations of iron, manganese, and sulfate detected in groundwater beneath the facility were likely a result of acid mine drainage from surrounding areas; however, an institutional control prohibiting groundwater use is required to prevent exposure to contamination. An institutional control prohibiting residential use of the property is also required unless or until a residential cleanup standard is demonstrated throughout the facility.
Institutional controls prohibiting both residential use of the property and groundwater use beneath the facility are required as part of the final remedy.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments[PDF, 2 pages, 106 KB, About ]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[PDF, 10 pages, 6.94 MB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposure[PDF, 7 pages, 121 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination -Groundwater[PDF, 8 pages, 88 KB, About ]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Keystone Chemical Company|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
Although some areas of the facility near the railway are presently used as loading and transfer areas for nearby mining operations, the facility is largely unused.
The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Griff Miller (215) 814-3407.