PPG Industries, Inc.
R & D Center
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Paul Gotthold
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- On July 1999, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US Army Corps of Engineers, and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) conducted a site visit. The visit consisted of a facility tour and information gathering to assess the current status of the Facility. No obvious areas of concern were identified during the visit.
- After an extensive review of existing information and the site visit, EPA determined that there is no unacceptable human exposure to contamination nor is there any evidence of groundwater contamination caused by the Facility. Furthermore, EPA concludes that there have been no past or current releases that warrant further investigation or corrective action at this Facility at this time. On July 2000, EPA issued a Final Determination that no further corrective actions are necessary at the Facility at this time.
- PPG Industries, Inc. is a global manufacturer of chemicals, coatings and resins, glass and fiberglass. The PPG R&D Center facility is adjacent to the manufacturing facility and together the two facilities occupy approximately 26 acres. The Springdale R&D Center operations started in 1954. The Development Center pilot plant was opened in 1958 to produce larger scale batches of resins developed in the lab, prior to full-scale commercialization. The pilot plant is located behind the research center. The PPG Springdale R&D Center invents and develops formulations for coatings and resin products and provides the ability to scale up resin production. A number of the raw materials and products used at the R&D Center are flammable, thus, safe handling of raw materials is integral to the R&D process. Handling of hazardous waste is consistent with the care taken with process materials.
- EPA determined that there is no unacceptable human exposure to contamination nor is there any evidence of groundwater contamination caused by the Facility. Furthermore, EPA concludes that there have been no past or current releases that warrant further investigation or corrective action
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 30 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|PPG Industries R &D Center|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410.