Safety Kleen Corp.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Kevin Bilash
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-2796
- EPA Region 3 has determined that Corrective Action is complete and no land use controls are required (Corrective Action Complete without Controls) for the Facility. A public notice was posted in The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review newspaper on March 24, 2009 and was followed by a thirty (30)-day comment period that ended on April 23, 2009. The Final Decision and Response to Comments became effective May 12, 2009
- The Environmental Indicators (EIs) were completed on March 10, 2009. The two EIs are called "Current Human Exposures Under Control" and "Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control." The EIs completed reflect the decision of Corrective Action Complete without Controls and have status codes of "Yes, Under Control" for both.
- The Facility was located at 670 Cochran Mill Road, Smith Industrial Park, Clairton, Jefferson Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. The Facility leased a building to house its solvent distribution activities from an unknown date until approximately August 1988. The operations of the Facility included one 8,000 gallon and two 5,000 gallon underground storage tanks (USTs) for spent mineral spirits ("solvents") storage; one 2,000 gallon and two 10,000 gallon USTs for recycled solvent storage; solvent drum storage; and a wet dumpster area.
- A December 17, 1998 letter from PADEP indicates that all hazardous wastes have been removed, contaminated soil has been remediated, and contaminated groundwater has been remediated. During remediation activities, 2.5 years of pump and treat operations removed over 200,000 gallons of contaminated groundwater; over 7 years of groundwater monitoring has been completed to demonstrate effective remediation.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 30 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Safety Kleen Corp.Clairton PA|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Kevin Bilash (215) 814-2796.