Harley-Davidson Motor Company
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Griff Miller
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
PA Department of Environmental Protection
Southcentral Regional Office
PADEP Project Manager
609 Elmerton Avenue
Harrisburg, PA 17110-8200
Phone: (717) 705-4851
Email: : firstname.lastname@example.org
EPA has evaluated available information and has determined that human exposures to contamination are indeterminate due to a lack of sufficient evidence to rule out exposures to contamination via vapor intrusion in one area of the Facility. Migration of contaminated groundwater is indeterminate as potential ecological impacts to Codorus Creek are unknown. The Facility is conducting additional activities to both determine whether vapor intrusion exposures are of concern and assess how groundwater contamination beneath the Facility is interacting with the creek.
EPA and PADEP approved Part 1 of the Facility’s Supplemental Remedial Investigation for Groundwater in February 2012, and the Supplemental Remedial Investigation for Soils in March 2010. Part 2 of the groundwater investigation began in May 2012 and is anticipated to continue for two years. Part 2 includes several tasks such as: source area investigations, assessment of the migration of groundwater and contaminants near the property boundary in several areas, and the installation of new wells. Once these investigations are completed, a feasibility study will be conducted to assess various remedial options that will address contamination at the Facility.
The Facility is informing the community of environmental activities at the facility via periodic newsletters and a website, www.yorksiteremedy.com.
Harley-Davidson has manufactured motorcycles at the Facility since 1973. Previous owners include the United States Department of the Navy, which operated an ordnance plant on the property (often referred to as the "Former York Naval Ordnance Plant"). Reportedly, the Former York Naval Ordnance Plant manufactured non-explosive ordnance items, such as guns and gun mounts.
Primary contaminants include trichloroethene, tetrachloroethene, trichloroethane, and chromium. Exposure routes to contamination from the Facility include groundwater infiltration into surface water via Codorus Creek and the intrusion of vapors into buildings from groundwater beneath and adjacent to the Facility. The groundwater-to-surface water pathway is being evaluated to determine if contamination reaching the creek is above levels of ecological concern. The vapor intrusion pathway is being reassessed in the southeastern property boundary area to determine whether this exposure pathway is complete. Although surface and subsurface soil is contaminated in several areas of the Facility, exposure to these areas is not considered of sufficient duration or probability (i.e. soils are covered with pavement) to constitute a significant pathway of concern.
It is anticipated that institutional controls will be required as part of the remedy to ensure that groundwater is not used for potable purposes in the vicinity of the Facility and that Facility property remains nonresidential
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Harley Davidson Property Reuse Bulletin [1pp, 290 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [ 9 pp, 209 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Harley Davidson York Facility||Harley Davidson York GeoSpatial PDF Map [PDF, 2018 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map )
Harley-Davidson continues to use the majority of the property to manufacture motorcycles. The 58-acre area known as the West Campus was sold to the York County Industrial Development Authority in July 2012.