Kimberly Clark Pennsylvania LLC
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Catheryn Blankenbiller
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
- Corrective Action Status:
Corrective Action Underway
- Human Exposure Controls:
- Ground Water Controls TBA
Currently a site investigation is underway.
Known Spills and release timeline:
• April 1977: ~ 540 gal of concentrated sulfuric acid was neutralized w/ soda ash and was washed
• Sept 19, 1980: ~ 2,200 gal of 40% sulfuric acid, some went to DELCORA system, remainder was neutralized with soda ash
• March 23, 1981: ~ 10 gal of waste oil spilled into Delaware river, Coast Guard followed up, no environmental damage reported
• April 10, 1981:PADEP notified the facility of 2 unpermitted discharges to Delaware river
• July 19, 1983:~220 gal of mixture of No 2 and No 6 fuel oil discharged to the Delaware river, cleaned up and followed up by PADEP
• Nov 29, 1983:~20gal of No 2 fuel oil was discharged from floor of facility generator building and the walk area outside of the building when an AST for a standby diesel generator was overfilled
• Sep 6 1985:~5 gal of oil discharged to Delaware River via Outfall 003
• May 20, 1988:~7.5 gal of diesel fuel and 2 gal of lubricating oil was discharged to Delaware river via outfall OO1
• Jan 1989: No 2 fuel oil discovered leaking form a broken pipe leaked from Outfall 001
• July 19, 1991:~6,000 gal of diluted sulfuric acid was released to ground surface, release was neutralized and collected
• April 17, 1992: Oil dripping from an oil separator and mixed with storm water ~1 gal of oil leaked to creek
• May 18, 1993:~600 gal of low Ph water was found draining into the Delaware river
• July 3, 1999:~4 gal of hydraulic fluid was released to Del River
• May 3, 2000: facility notified PADEP that a discharged of water and small amounts of pulp filter entered the Delaware river from a line of waste waster elementary neutralization system, ~100 gal
• March 23, 2001:Facility notified PADEP that a discharge of river water containing mud entered the Delaware River following an electricity outage ~5,000 gal containing 625 lbs of solids
• Oct 29, 2001:~15 gal of water containing 6lbs o paper filter discharged to Delaware river
• Aug 9, 2006: sulfuric acid leak anther one occurred in June, unlikely acid escaped the containment area
• June 8, 2009:~10gal of concentrated sulfuric acid released from a loose fitting AST
Parts of this facility were owned by Chester Shipping Co form 1900-1940’s. Scott Paper co had some parts of the facility in 1910. In 1940’s Scott Paper acquired Chester Shipping Co. Scott was liquidated to Kimberly Clark Corporation.
The Facility consists of 74 acres, with a majority of that covered with impermeable surfaces and some gravel. This part of Chester has been deemed an “enterprise zone”. The facility is bordered to the North by a physician office, to the East by Harrah’s Casino and Race Track, West by Highway maintenance department and South by Delaware River. The facility takes pulp into sanitary paper tissues, towels and napkins. The facility operates and maintains cogenerations power plant.
The area is an “enterprise zone” designated by the City of Chester planning commission.
Kimberly-Clark operates a non-integrated paper mill along the Delaware River in Chester,
Pennsylvania, converting pulp into sanitary paper products such as tissues, towels, and napkins.
Raw paper fiber is received at the facility via rail car or truck where paper machines press,
decorate, and process these products.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Factsheet [PDF, 8 pages, 152 KB, About ]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Kimberly Clark Pennsylvania LLC|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The site is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Ms. Catheryn Blankenbiller (215)814-3464.