Ametek, U.S. Gauge Division
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Khai M. Dao
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-5467
On June 8, 2012, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued a Final Decision and Response to Comments (FDRTC) for the selected remedy at the Ametek U.S. Gauge Division facility (Facility). After careful review of all comments received during the public comment period regarding the proposed remedy in the Statement of Basis (SB), EPA has concluded that no modification to the proposed remedy is necessary. Therefore, the remedy proposed in the SB is now final and becomes the selected remedy.
The selected remedy for the Ametek site consists of the following:
• Establishment of a Technical Impracticability (TI) Boundary for groundwater, which consists of the Plant #2 property boundary;
• Continued operation and maintenance of the Site’s groundwater pump and treat system;
• Long-term groundwater stability monitoring and reporting; and
• Long term land development restrictions, and groundwater-related use restrictions pursuant to the Pennsylvania Uniform Environmental Covenants Act.
Details of the selected remedy are presented in the FDRTC and can be downloaded at:
http://www.epa.gov/reg3wcmd/ca/pa/otherdocs/fdrtc_pad002342236.pdf[PDF, 43 pages, 4.37 MB, About PDF ]
Key information used to select the remedy at the Facility is from reports and sources contained in the Administrative Record (AR). The AR is available to the public for review and can be found at the following locations:
United States Environmental Protection Agency, Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail Code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Contact: Khai M. Dao
Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am – 5:00 pm
Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP)
2 East Main Street
Norristown, PA 19401
Contact: Ms. Jennifer Wilson
Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am – 4 pm
Note: Appointment is needed to review the AR
The former Ametek, U.S. Gauge Division Plant #2 facility is located on Clymer Avenue, Sellersville, BucksCounty, Pennsylvania. The property is approximately 45 acres that contain a main office and a manufacturing building, as well as several small buildings for storage of materials. From 1957- 2008, Ametek manufactured pressure indicating gauges and other instrumentation for the automotive, aircraft, process and public utility industries. The production process involves multiple steps of machining, forming, cleaning, and finishing of principal components prior to final assembly.
Since 1974, several investigations were performed at the site to assess, remove and control subsurface (i.e., soil and groundwater contamination) impacts. In June 1990 EPA issued a Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Administrative Order on Consent directing the facility to proceed with a site investigation and cleanup.
The primary concern at the site is groundwater migration of volatile organic contaminants
(VOCs) that were used as solvents (e.g., trichloroethylene, tetrachloroethane) in the manufacturing process. This concern is being controlled with the installed groundwater extraction/treatment system. In addition to groundwater contaminants, elevated concentrations of VOCs in soil were also detected at specific locations within the boundaries of the facility. As part of the closures of the former dry and wet lagoons the contaminated soils were excavated and disposed offsite.
- The primary concern at the site is groundwater migration of volatile organic contaminants (VOCs) that were used as solvents (e.g., trichloroethylene, tetrachloroethane) in the manufacturing process. This concern is being controlled with the installed groundwater extraction/treatment system. In addition to groundwater contaminants, elevated concentrations of VOCs in soil were also detected at specific locations within the boundaries of the facility. As part of the closures of the former dry and wet lagoons the contaminated soils were excavated and disposed offsite.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Ametek Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments Available [PDF, 43 pages, 17.3 MB, About PDF ]
- Ametek Statement of Basis[PDF, 19 pages, 1.153 MB, About PDF ]
- Ametek Public Meeting Transcript on Corrective Action Remedy - December 8, 2011[PDF, 30 pages, 1.132 MB, About PDF ]
- Corrective Action - Environmental Covenant -Deed Restriction (Bucks County- PA) [PDF, 18 pages, 3.712 MB, About PDF ]
- Environmental Indicators - Human Health [PDF, 9 pages, 57 KB, About PDF ]
- Environmental Indicators - Groundwater [PDF, 8 pages, 144 KB, About PDF ]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Ametek, U.S. Gauge Division||Ametek, U.S. Gauge GeoSpatial PDF Map [PDF, 1222 KB, 1 pages, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map )
- The property at 200 Gravers Lane , Plymouth Meeting is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Khai M. Dao (215) 814-5467.