Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Khai M. Dao
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-5467
- Merck is currently under a Consent Order (September, 1994) with EPA. The contaminants of concerns are VOCs (including chloroform, PCE, and TCE) in groundwater. The Facility currently operates 11 pumping wells with activated carbon systems to treat the groundwater and to sustain hydraulic control of the groundwater plume. The treated groundwater is recycled through the facility and is used for potable water purposes.
- Merck connected 58 local residents to a public water supply system. For the residents who choose to remain on well water, Merck tests their wells quarterly. Water from all these wells meet the Federal drinking water standards. Under the Consent Order, Merck publishes a yearly Information Bulletin for the community. Merck will continue to monitor offsite residential wells to ensure that the current remediation continues to control and remediate the groundwater contamination.
- In September, 1998, EPA gave Merck permission to discontinue the in-situ vapor extraction system. Merck will continue to monitor the groundwater to ensure that the groundwater plume remains stable is not migrating offsite.
- The Merck Facility is approximately 400 acres in size and located one mile south of Lansdale in Upper Gwynedd Township, Montgomery County, PA. At this location, Merck manufactures pharmaceutical products and conducts research for new product development.
- The contaminants of concerns are VOCs (including chloroform, PCE, and TCE) in groundwater.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 30 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.||Merck GeoSpatial PDF Map [PDF, 1554 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map)
- The facility is under conitnued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Khai M. Dao (215) 814-5467.