On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Grant Dufficy
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3455
- The Olin Facility submitted a Notice of Intent to Remediate to PADEP under their Land Recycling (Act 2) Program and was granted a release from environmental liability under the Act 2 Program. EPA published a public notice in the local newspaper that described the proposed no further action for the Facility. EPA provided a 30-day comment period to welcome public review and input. No comments were received. EPA believes Olin Microelectronics Materials has attained Corrective Action Complete with Controls status at this time. Olin has recorded a deed restriction for the property.
- The site is located at 731 Enger Rd. in Nazareth within Plainfield Township in Northampton County, Pennsylvania. The facility was established in 1972 as Hi-Pure Chemicals, Inc. The site consists of tract # 1 and tract # 2. The tracts are non-contiguous properties, and industrial activity was limited to tract # 1. Tract # 1 is approximately 360 feet by 650 feet and consists of a large manufacturing building/warehouse and an office building. Industrial activities conducted by the Olin Corporation began in 1984. The facility repackaged and purified industrial, electronic, and food grade acids. Materials handled at the site included: ammonium hydroxide, hydrochloric acid, hydrofluoric acid, acetic acid, nitric acid, ammonia, hydrogen fluoride, phosphoric acid, sulfuric acid, and ammonium biflouride.
- Materials handled at the site included: ammonium hydroxide, hydrochloric acid, hydrofluoric acid, acetic acid, nitric acid, ammonia, hydrogen fluoride, phosphoric acid, sulfuric acid, and ammonium biflouride.
- Olin has placed a groundwater use restriction on the property via a deed notice. This notice specifies that site groundwater from existing wells shall not be used for any purpose except monitoring, with the exception that existing production well PW-1 may be used for any purpose except drinking water unless first pre-treated to reduce the concentration of fluoride to below the MCL of 2.0 mg/l. Any new wells drilled on site in the future for any purpose other than monitoring must first be shown, through adequate sampling and analysis, to be safe for their designated intended purpose and must first be approved for use, in writing, by the PADEP, and may require periodic monitoring to ensure their continued safe use.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 9 pages, 104 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 9 pages, 164 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|OLIN MICROELECTRONICS||OLIN MICROELECTRONICS GeoSpatial PDF Map [PDF, 1335 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map )
- The facility's future use is to be determined.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Grant Dufficy (215) 814-3455.