World Kitchens Charleroi
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Catheryn Blankenbiller
Office of Pennsylvania Remediation
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-202
Phone: (215) 814-3464
- On April 9, 2013 World Kitchen LLC was given a Yes for both Current Human Exposure Under Control and Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under control. Currently the investigation is underway.
World Kitchen manufactures tableware and kitchenware by utilizing continuous operating processes involving glass batch mixing, controlled melting in melt furnaces, and final fishing and decorating of the products. This is a 22 acre property located on the west bank of the Monongahela River in Charleroi Borough, Washington County there are 63 structures that occupy 13.8 acres of the site, 61 structures were constructed between 1892 and 1988. The property was protected by a security fence and guarded entrances. The property was purchased in 1893 by George A. Macbeth & Co which produced lamp chimneys. 1895 and 1899 Macbeth Glass merged with Thomas Evans & Co. and became Macbeth-Evans Glass Company. 1916 Macbeth-Evans purchased Hamilton Bottle works. Corning Glass works Merged with Macbeth-Evans Glass Company in 1936. Before 1940 Corning Glass works produced television tube glass in addition to house ware products. July 27 1989 name changed to “Corning Incorporated”. January 2, 1992, Change of owner ship to Corning Consumer Products Company. In April 1, 1998 the Name changed to World Kitchen Inc due to Borden Incorporated purchasing Corning Consumer Products. 2002 company filed for bankruptcy. 2004 the company has been privately held. On May 10, 2006 name was changed to World Kitchen LLC.
The facility has had several remediation actions to date. The most recent was the approval from PADEP of the Act 2 Final report. During the Act 2 contaminated soil was removed, groundwater monitoring conducted and there was remediation of Outfall 002.
- Some of the site's key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 625 KB, 10 pages, About PDF]
- Environemental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures[PDF, 3988 KB, 9 pages, About PDF]
- Environemental Indicator Determination - Groundwater[PDF, 3938 KB, 9 pages, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|World Kitchens Charleroi|
To englarge photo or map click on thumbnail.
The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager:Ms. Catheryn Blankenbiller (215) 814-3464.