Metso Minerals Industries, Inc.
(formerly Svedala Industries, Inc.)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Tran tran
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-2079
- On August 25, 2005, the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) and PADEP's consultants conducted a site visit. The visit consisted of a site tour, and information gathering to assess the current status of the facility. EPA is evaluating the available information to determine if the Environmental Indicators, Current Human Exposures and Migration of Contaminated Groundwater, are under control.
- The Metso facility is located at 240 Arch Street, York, York County, PA. This site is located in a residential and light industrial area.
- Operations began at the facility in 1965 under Koppers Company. With a change in ownership, Koppers Company, Mineral Processing Systems Division submitted a name change to Mineral Processing Systems, Inc. in a letter to PADEP, dated December 5, 1984. In 1992 an ownership and name change of Mineral Processing Systems, Inc. to Svedala Industries, Inc, took place. The company was also referred to as Allis Mineral Systems, a division of Svedala Industries, Inc. At an unknown date Svedala Industries, Inc. sold Allis Mineral Systems to Metso Minerals Industries, Inc., the current owner.
- A Notification of Hazardous Waste Activity was completed by Koppers Company, Inc. on August 8, 1980. Waste codes F001, F002, F003, F005, and F017 were listed on the Notification form. (A hand written note indicated that some of the waste streams were added on March 12, 1985.)
- Koppers Company, Inc. submitted the USEPA application for a Hazardous Waste Permit for the facility (Minerals Processing Systems Division, York, PA) in a letter dated November 18, 1980. Process Design Capacity for S01 (5,000 gallons), S02 (600 gallons), S02 (275 gallons) and T03 (20 gallons) were identified on the USEPA Hazardous Waste Permit application.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 30 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 8 pages, 651 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Metso Minerals Industries, Inc.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under conitnued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Ms. tran Tran (215) 814-2079.